Big 6....or 7 (rifle kill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big 6....or 7 (rifle kill)

In 2015 we started seeing a big 6 on camera. We tried to let family and friends hunt him but he never showed for them. I was torn. I didn't want 6pt genetics running around but this deer had a really big frame, and that I liked that. In January 2016, I think a neighbor shot him in the leg by looking at pictures(we have an extensive history of wounded deer). The wound didn't appear to be severe, so I figured he would make it. I estimated him to be 4.5 at the time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	25132246

Name:	IMG_0832.JPG
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	25132247

Name:	MDGC0193.JPG
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	25132248

Name:	MDGC0771.JPG
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	25132249

Name:	MDGC0364.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	25132250
    2016 came and he showed up again, this time as a big 7 and his horns looked different. One side went up and the other side out and forward. He still had a big frame on him. Again, friends and family hunted him to no avail. I had a few chances to kill him but held out for a bigger buck. I kicked myself after he disappeared in December for not killing him, but he had broken some points and a main beam. I thought for sure he was gone for good.

Name:	MDGC0387.JPG
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	25132251

Name:	MDGC0669.JPG
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	25132252

Name:	MDGC0138.JPG
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	25132253

Name:	MDGC0385.JPG
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	25132254

Name:	IMG_9822.JPG
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	25132255

Name:	IMG_9826.JPG
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	25132256

Name:	IMG_9835.JPG
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	25132257
    2017 camera season came and I got one picture of him early on. It was a bad picture but I thought it might be him. Then he vanished with no more pictures for several months. I hadn't given it much thought until he showed up just before Halloween at the water trough. Wow, did he look good!! I told my Dad that I was going to kill that deer and mount him being so unique and such a large frame. He was still a big 7 with a few unscoreable stickers off his G2's. Other cameras showed him coming to the House feeder for several days in a row. I would hunt there until he showed.

Name:	IMG_1306.JPG
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	25132258

Name:	IMG_1308.JPG
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	25132259
    I sat there Saturday morning until Monday evening and he never showed. All cameras showed him to have disappeared. That was not uncommon and with the heat and full moon, movement wasn't really that good. However, we could tell by the pictures and observations that the rut had been in full swing for a week or so. I'd just have to wait him out. Until....Monday evening my Dad text me saying he was out in front of him at the Middle feeder. He said he is big and you will want to mount this one. He said sneak over here and see if you can get a shot. I didn't initially because we have a ton of deer and sneaking there and not bumping a bunch of deer is **** near impossible. After a few minutes and much ribbing from hunting buddies, I thought why not. Make a memory Jason. If this works, it will be special. I qucikly exited the House feeder stand, scared off my 10 deer and 10 turkey and hoofed it towards the middle feeder. I was was huffing and puffing by the time I got close. Luckily, I didn't blow any deer yet. I could see my dad in the box stand about 40 yards down the road. I gave him a thumbs up and hoped he would give me one saying the buck was still out in front. He did and frantically waved me to come on. Little did I know the buck was in and out of the brush chasing his two girlfriends. I snuck down the road like an indian hoping for the best. A wall of shin oak shielded me from the feeder and oat patch. I got along the edge and belly crawled towards the corner edge. Slowly I pushed my backpack in front of me and my rifle. When I peeked around the corner, I saw him and two doe under the feeder. My dad was in the box stand 15 yards away to my right watching all this. I rested my rifle on the backpack and got lined up. They knew something wasn't right. He stood proudly, head held high, swollen neck and double throat patch staring in my direction. His doe walked in front of him as if to shield him from a chest shot. She cleared after a few seconds and he put his head down to eat more corn. I put the crosshairs on the back of his neck where it meets his shoulder blades and touched it off. Recoil and then looking through the scope and he laid there still. I put my head down and could finally breath. My dad left the stand and came and sat beside me. We couldn't believe that just worked out. We made a memory and one that I will never forget. We walked to the buck together and took many pictures. It isn't even close to my biggest buck, but a special one nevertheless. I had told my dad to shoot him but he wouldn't. He'd rather see my get excited to kill him. My bold move to put on the sneak made it that more special that we could both be there for it. I have two young daughters and I hope to one day do the same for them. Thanks Dad, we did it together.

Name:	IMG_1328.JPG
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	25132261

Name:	IMG_1392.JPG
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	25132262

Name:	IMG_1399.JPG
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	25132263

Name:	IMG_1325.JPG
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	25132264

Name:	IMG_1326.JPG
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	25132265

That is awesome!

Neat your dad was there to experience it together! Congratulations on a heck of a buck!

Comment

Very nice 7! Congrats to the both of you.

Comment

Cool story and a great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Dude that's awesome! You'll cherish that memory forever!

Comment

Awesome story and memories made right there !!

Congrats Sir

Comment

great story thanks for sharing

Comment

That is a great story and buck. Congrats.

Comment

that is awesome!!! I love history like that

Comment

Great story and Great buck ! They laugh at me because I have a thing for big cull bucks . This one makes me smile. It was great that you shared it with your dad ! Will be a great story at the camp fires many years down the road.

Comment

Great story and memory. Super deer too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

very cool deer!

Comment

Great story and deer!

Comment

I'd be thrilled to death with that fella

Comment

I bet the show from your dads view was awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X