2017...Wichita Falls and surrounding counties Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
    Never mind, I found out it came from a high fenced place in Archer county. "NOTHING AGAINST HIGH FENCED DEER" Don't know where it is in the county. It scored 257.
    We have a high game breeding operation about 5 miles from our place and they always have a couple studs and a ton of crazy big younger deer. I always like to drive by and look at them when I’m out there for the weekend. You were right about those dang army worms. I’m going to have to plant later next year.

Comment

Where is the high fence place

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
        Where is the high fence place
        If you’re headed out west of Archer on 25 you take a right on Buerger Rd and it’s the first place on your right. I call it Dugan Rd but google calls it Trubville Rd to the west and Buerger Rd to the east of 25. They have breeder pens right off the road and there are always some nice deer to see. They’ve been cutting the antlers off the big breeder bucks here lately but there is normally one hoss around. Marvin at Archer Feed told me a little about the place but I don’t know too much about their operation.

Comment

I was told the fella that bought the 300A across the road from me has a 1000A high fence place in Archer county but didn't know where. I'm south of y'all on Furr rd

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
            I was told the fella that bought the 300A across the road from me has a 1000A high fence place in Archer county but didn't know where. I'm south of y'all on Furr rd
            How’s is your deer here looking so far this year? We have so many bucks it is crazy. I’m contemplating not shooting any doe to help stabilize the numbers a little. We have at least a 2:1 if not a 3:1 ratio or better. Lots of great up and comers and a few mature deer.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
              How’s is your deer here looking so far this year? We have so many bucks it is crazy. I’m contemplating not shooting any doe to help stabilize the numbers a little. We have at least a 2:1 if not a 3:1 ratio or better. Lots of great up and comers and a few mature deer.
              We didn't shoot any does for 5-6 years. Personally, I don't think that area is manageable. With such big open ranges, no boundaries and the distance deer travel around the area.
              We are 20-25 miles North of you guys and would say that the two areas are substantially different in deer numbers thou. One of our guys pays to hunt where we are at and his family owns several thousand acres just west and south of where yall are at.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                We didn't shoot any does for 5-6 years. Personally, I don't think that area is manageable. With such big open ranges, no boundaries and the distance deer travel around the area.
                We are 20-25 miles North of you guys and would say that the two areas are substantially different in deer numbers thou. One of our guys pays to hunt where we are at and his family owns several thousand acres just west and south of where yall are at.
                It is a very unpredictable environment. When I see threads about guys managing deer for 5+ years I think we should be able to do the same, it has not been the case. The best I’ve tracked a deer is for three years and during season I would say about half the bucks are residents and half pass through. We do feed protein and I think if anything it helps us see more of the deer in our surrounding areas. It’s funny you mention that about a guy on your place, the neighbor to the south of us will talk to me throughout the season and in two years they have not seen or had a mature buck on camera. They own this land and lease other land west of Wichita. I feel like the best thing going for us in the area compared to our neighbors is pressure. We have a safe haven for the deer we do not access and all of our neighbors over hunt and spread out the deer. One neighbor has three stands and multiple feeders on 100 acres and also their camp. I do think that is my favorite part about hunting the area is not knowing what could show up at anytime. One of my friends was on our place for a couple years and his first whitetail was a nine point split g2 buck in full velvet during the middle of December!

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post

I have a few more doe than bucks showing up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I skewered two javinas and a mature doe last Sunday😎
                    Attached Files

Comment

Live pic.I am having the boar Javi full body mounted.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by crowmagnum View Post
                        Live pic.I am having the boar Javi full body mounted.
                        That’s awesome!! Was this out in Knox County? I shot a small one last year in Archer and saw two larger ones and couldn’t believe what I had just seen.

Comment

[QUOTE=TTU TX Hunter;12887077]That’s awesome!! Was this out in Knox County? I shot a small one last year in Archer and saw two larger ones and couldn’t believe what I had just seen.[/QUOTEknox county it was,we are over ran w them.🇨🇱

Comment

More
                            Attached Files

Comment

I got out to our place in Throckmorton County and it was hotter than you know what! There are also a million bees flying around. They were all over our porch and camp trailer as well as blinds. I couldn’t believe how many are flying around.

Comment

I’ll be in Baylor county sat morning looking to fill buck tag #2. This heat won’t help..

Comment

Working...
                                X