No announcement yet.

Etching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use melted wax to cover the metal. then use a needle stuck in a mechanical pencil (eye of the needle sticking out of the pencil to "carve" your name, initial, logo, pictures....etc. When done melt off the wax and clean and oil the blade. The wax protects where you dont want etched so you dont have to be precise with the qtip. Its a very simple process. It even works on tool steels that are hard to engrave. Plus the wax will let you remelt if you mess up and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      I might have to try it.
      Just need to figure a way to protect the rest of the blade. Maybe cover with clear nail polish?
      This is how I put my mark on my blades. My wife bought me a sheet of stencils with my logo cut (it has probably 300 stencils on it). I put the stencil on the blade and cover the surrounding area with painters tape. Use the salt water and q-tip with a 12 volt battery charger. Takes longer to put the stencil in place and tape than it does to etch the logo into stainless steel.

Comment

You guys that have done this, post pics please.

Comment

This is how they put our employee numbers on our tools at work.

Comment

That is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Train View Post
              sweet! Girlfriend has a silhouette cameo that unfortunately I know how to work very well. I may have to try this!
              I know how to use my wifes silhouette better than she does. Kinda scary, but I've made and helped her make a lot of money with it. If you can think of it, you can make it. I've etched a few metal things such as yeti cups and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                You guys that have done this, post pics please.
                search metal etching on youtube. Theres tons of videos. I have done it before, but not sure I have any pictures.

Comment

Low quality pic but found one.

Comment

Not sure if you can see this album, but here is SOME of the stuff you can do/make when you learn how to use it.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Welded up something “classy” for my brother for his 40th birthday and now my son and I are attempting to etch using saltwater and q-tips. It’s working but it’s a slow process. 12v wasn’t cutting it so we jumped in a 3rd battery and 18 is really making it sizzle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well dang. Saltwater only works for non ferrous metals. Didn’t work on the steel. Will try something else

Comment

Vinegar, salt, and a trickle charger. Works much better on steel. You do have to grind the scale off though.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                              Well dang. Saltwater only works for non ferrous metals. Didn’t work on the steel. Will try something else

Figured out last night that saltwater will work for ferrous metals but we had the electrodes backwards. The positive should be fixed to the workpiece and the negative is what you want to use for the saltwater cloth/qtip

Comment

Dhillis, did you just use saltwater or did you also mix a little vinegar in it? I've seen that mentioned on youtube. I plan on doing this in the next few days hopefully to an Ozark Trail cup that I am going to leave at work. Can you paint where you etched to make it show up better?

Comment

Working...
                                X