Tankless water heater recommendations? Propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tankless water heater recommendations? Propane

We are building a house and want to install a propane tankless water heater. What brand would you recommend? Plumber said we need about a 9.5 gpm

We install Rinnai and Navien. Virtually problem free when installed and piped correctly.

Comment

AO Smith and Rinnia both make good (9.4) units that can be found at most suppliers. Price is negligible from my experience. Are you running one centralized unit in attic or exterior wall vented?

Comment

I really like the Rinnai units mounted in an exterior wall inside the factory recess box. No venting and no taking up space in the garage or closet.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
          I really like the Rinnai units mounted in an exterior wall inside the factory recess box. No venting and no taking up space in the garage or closet.
          Totally agree is why I asked OP. Seeing more homes being built with one overhead unit vs. using two exterior units to saving a little coin though.

Comment

In have the rianniui or however it’s spelled. I went bigger than needed. I can literally run 3 showers and dishwasher without losing hot water. I’d suggest not putting it inside because you can hook up a water hose to it also. Handy for cleaning coolers during deer season. Also have your plumber get it. Don’t buy it at a box store. Different grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
              This is the only way to go, all of the connections and vents are outside, and no worry of a leak.

Comment

We have a Rinnai on propane and it works great. Endless hot water.

Comment

Navien if you want one with a recirculated pump . If your not worried about a recirculating pump then yeah go with the Rinnia with the recess box mounted in the brick .

Comment

Rinnai now makes a unit with built in circulation pump as well.

Comment

I have a rinnai sensei. Ultra efficient, and has built in recirculating pump. Mine is mounted on the exterior of the home. No issues so far, other than twice in two years during storms it tripped the GFCI it’s plugged in to.

Be sure to properly size a dedicated propane line to it and have a good regulator that can maintain pressure. They burn some serious volume when you put demand on them.

Comment

I forgot to mention make sure the propane company or plumber runs an adequate supply line or a dual regulator setup. The tankless heaters can be finicky if the volume and pressure is not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                          AO Smith and Rinnia both make good (9.4) units that can be found at most suppliers. Price is negligible from my experience. Are you running one centralized unit in attic or exterior wall vented?
                          Exterior wall vented

Comment

Navien all day every day.

Comment

Thanks for all this great input. I've been so busy preparing to move and build that I haven't been able to monitor this thread. The Rinnai recessed is what my plumber recommended. I assume one that recirculates would use a lot more propane?

Comment

Working...
                              X