No announcement yet.

Medal of Honor questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask him if he would offer any advice to young people who might be smaller than some other folks and not have confidence to try important endeavors. (Since he was originally turned down for enlistment in the Marines due to being too short.)

Also, does he find any irony in the fact that this small Marine accomplished his cited action by wielding a 70-pound flamethrower in four separate trips back and forth for re-charges and back to enemy positions.

How did it feel to see the American flag being raised in the distance on Mt. Subiachi?

What kept you going to keep fighting for five additional weeks of battle, despite taking shrapnel in the leg?

How do you feel about being recognized in your home state of West Virginia for your work on veterans' affairs?

Comment

These are very humble men. Great men. The Greatest Generation.

Ask this..."What do you think of todays patriotism?"

I was fortunate to meet Francis S. Currey CMH awardee from the Battle of the Bulge. A GI Joe doll was made of this mans likeness. They are super special people.

Comment

Sir, I've been rolling this question around in my head since I first read your original post, and have decided to submit this question for your daughter's consideration...she should ask Mr. Williams what he thinks about the athletes who kneel during the National Anthem.

BTW, I'm a disabled veteran and my response often surprises people when they ask me the same question - my feeling is that this is why I served my country, to allow people their right to show their respect, or lack thereof, to our country. That doesn't mean I like it, but I do recognize their right to act in such a manner.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I would ask him about serving as chaplain of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society for 35 years. What was entailed in that? What did you enjoy about it and what did you not enjoy about it?

Comment

She should ask: May I have my picture taken with you?

This will be a day she will never forget. To me it would be an honor just to stand next to a Marine who was given the Medal of Honor for his actions. And I am also a former 67 to 69 Marine.

Comment

I used to visit with Roy Benavidez a lot, just sitting on the tailgate of my truck at the park where he liked to jog and walk.

He liked talking about service to his country and about the training he went through to become a Green Beret. He talked about honor and doing one's duty more than anything and I wouldn't be surprised if a WW-II Marine wouldn't want to talk about the same things.

He would also talk about the action that caused him to earn the MOH.

Have her ask him about his Marine Corps training and about being onboard ships and how that was. Was the food on the ships good, what kind of quarters did he have while onboard.

Ask him on what island he first landed when he got to the Pacific Theater and about life there living in tents. Ask him if he knew John Basilone, another MOH winner who was killed on Iwo.

If he wants to talk about Iwo Jima he will.

Comment

Thanks again guys,

This interview is for a college class she is taking. They are constructing a Medal of Honor memorial in Gainesville, and these interviews are going to be used for info in the displays for each of the awardees. April 3rd, there are supposed to be 30+ Medal of Honor winners in town for a ceremony. They have been doing this for about the past 10 years. She is reading these suggestions and told me to say thanks for her.

Comment

How did his service to our country change his outlook on life maybe?

Comment

Ask about the training prior to the assault.

Comment

Working...
                    X