how to pick a spot to hang bait for alligators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to pick a spot to hang bait for alligators

I won a draw in LA, and I think I can set up anywhere I want within the WMA. Is there things to look for when picking locations to hang baits? Ive heard people say to scout around early/late and look for bigger gators.
    I am assuming they will be further back/harder to reach areas.

As a set up,
    I basically came up with 10/12 hook
    300-400lb line, someone said "mule tape"
    Hang about 1-2ft above water
    thinking rotten chicken, or nutra/raccoon as bait.
    Was sure if really need steel cable leader.

Not looking for a monster, seems like 8-9 foot could be realistic goal.

Don’t know much about it but I have been told if you hang a bit high it will keep the smoker gators from getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where do you live , and which WMA do you plan on hunting ?

Comment

You don’t need steel leader. I use a 12 /0 hook on about ten feet of #96 trotline material for the leader. Then use about twenty feet of 1/4 inch rope to attach to a stake. For bait use a 1/4 piece of chicken that has set out for a day.shoot me if you have any more questions.

Comment

I live in Metairie, hunting Joyce WMA. I drew three tags. I believe season starts Last Wednesday in August, goes 30 days (east zone, Tangipahoa parish). I think I can hunt the whole season. Ive neve done this before, so Im very excited.

happy that I don't need the steel leader.

How far does the stake need to be driven down? seems like they could pull the stakes out.

A friend of mine said they really don't act that crazy if you pull them up slow, hopefully this is true.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Chottem jake

Comment

Whats Chottem jake?

Comment

Shootem Jake?, lol

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                    Whats Chottem jake?
                    Watch a few episodes of Swamp people! You will be an expert

Good luck

Comment

look for slides or small worn areas between two canals or a small slew between two bodies of water where they are traveling back and forth. We catch big gators all the time but do best where we find a slew or cut coming from a shallow body to a deep water way. if you want to PM me your contact info, I would be glad to help you out or answer any questions you have.

Comment

PM gander or johnpaul, they know how to consistently get it done

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                          You don’t need steel leader. I use a 12 /0 hook on about ten feet of #96 trotline material for the leader. Then use about twenty feet of 1/4 inch rope to attach to a stake. For bait use a 1/4 piece of chicken that has set out for a day.shoot me if you have any more questions.
                          X2 pretty much all we did when I filled gator tags when guiding.

Picking locations is pretty much idling around and glassing for gators late evening or spot lighting at night. Also if you see slides on mud banks or grass all laid down where they been sliding in and out of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                            PM gander or johnpaul, they know how to consistently get it done
                            That’s cause they have other folks catch them for them, right John Paul???

Comment

Thanks for all the help, guidance. Im very excited.
                              I think we get to start September 8, they let the comercial guys out a week early.

Im going to look up skinning them, how to process the meat. I do all my own deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X