No announcement yet.

Homemade apple pie shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are y'all getting it clear? Mine is always cloudy as heck, from the cider, and looks kinda like ditch water.
    It still tastes good and drinks fine, but it looks bad.

Filter it maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
      How are y'all getting it clear? Mine is always cloudy as heck, from the cider, and looks kinda like ditch water.

Filter it maybe?
      Unless all your liquids are clear, it won't be clear... IMO

Comment

Originally posted by mitchbcs View Post
        Unless all your liquids are clear, it won't be clear... IMO
        Yeah. I've made bout a dozen batches and they've all been murky.

Unless you find clear cider I doubt it'll be clear.

Ike

Comment

Ronnie, wasn't the stuff you had clear?
          Did you not use cider?

Comment

I made some similar to this around Christmas but a bigger batch. Basically the same but double the everclear. It called for a gallon of apple juice and gallon of cider and 3 cups of sugar. Used only a cup and 1/2 and it was great! Only cider I could find was a little dark and so the finished product was not as clear and appealing as a clearer cider makes it. Awesome with some vanillia added. Consume with caution

Comment

Ronnie, wasn't the stuff you had clear?
              Did you not use cider?
              No sir... Darker golden color

Comment

Originally posted by mitchbcs View Post
                No sir... Darker golden color
                I meant see through. I know yours was kinda apple juice color-ish but it wasn't cloudy.

Comment

I meant see through. I know yours was kinda apple juice color-ish but it wasn't cloudy.
                  Your vision tends to get "cloudy" after a few pulls from the jar. Judge the color prior to taste test!

Comment

Had this before it is great! just sneaks up on you!

Comment

trying this

Comment

I use clove in with the cinnamon sticks with half gallon cider and half gallon, plus a gallon of homemade apple wine (12-15%abv.). 1 cup sugar and 2 cups brown sugar, dissolved. Then I bring it all to a quick boil and immediately pour it into a 5 gallon drink cooler. Add one crushed campden tablet and give it a quick stir, then cover for one to two hours, depending one how long you're going to age it in the jars. (Don't worry about losing alcohol in the wine, since it's covered it is actually working like a reflux still column.) Then I add a quart of sweet feed sour mash triple distilled uncut likker and stir. Let sit for 30 minutes. Then transfer to quart jars each containing one full apple, sliced. Let sit for at least two weeks, but the longer the better.

Comment

Filter it maybe?
                          You can use the pectin method, drop pectin into it and it works like a parachute, bringing down all the sediments. Then, siphon into a clean (oxyclean) glass container for inspection and hopefully immediate bottling. Oxyclean your bottles/jars and rinse well prior to bottling, too. If you use fruit then you'll have to add it to the jars instead of boiling them, just add a campden tablet to the boil.

Comment

I am loving this recipe for sure!!!!

Comment

Yum

Comment

Wow

Comment

Working...
                                X