Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocking The hell outta varmits! (Hopefully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking The hell outta varmits! (Hopefully)

Varmit zapper 20$, 6 v solar panel 13$, 6v battery 6$, electrical box to house components 13$, electric fence wire 3$, pvc and caps to attach to feeder 5$ and misc connectors 5$. Zapper says to install the capacitor to the feeder battery. I built it as a separate unit so ididn't have to worry. I will build a small electric fence around my spin plate. The wires will attach to the 2 little bolts on the outside of the unit. Pvc will be used to hold the perimeter wire in place.

I like it, and have thought about doing the same thing.
    The only thing I would worry about is the durability of the solar panel wire. Maybe they wont be able to get their mits on it......but you never know with coons. The only thing I have found to work is EMT conduit.

If they do, I would consider mounting the solar panel directly to the enclosure door, and drilling a hole for the wire. That way no wiring is exposed.

Comment

Nice build - hope we can get some video of coons getting zapped! On one of my feeders the varmint guard is a little too small and I think they can reach through to the spinner plate. I wonder if I could hook one of those up and electrify the entire varmint cage?

Comment

Good thought on the conduit. I think if you energize the cage it may have some voltage drop and not hit em as hard. I'm Going to take apart one of the caps to see how they build it. If possible I will build a stronger/cheaper one.

Comment

Cool! Post some pics of it all installed. In for the results. Coons are out in full force on my feeder.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

You gotta be mad at them things. They’d have to eat 12 bags of corn to justify it but then again, there is the entrainment value!! Post vids when you get them running

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
                Good thought on the conduit. I think if you energize the cage it may have some voltage drop and not hit em as hard. I'm Going to take apart one of the caps to see how they build it. If possible I will build a stronger/cheaper one.
                Build one that will make fur smoke....
                I'll buy a couple.

Comment

if you insulated the cage from the rest of the feeder you should be able to hit em with a full charge

Comment

Nice.

I took a page out of chas mac book and put wire in metal fuel line from Napa. Bend it with a 15 dollar tubing bender from harbor freight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                      You gotta be mad at them things. They’d have to eat 12 bags of corn to justify it but then again, there is the entrainment value!! Post vids when you get them running
                      Heck, I've had coons empty a 1000# feeder in less then a month and that amounts to about 14 bags as the feeder feeds about 300#s a month. Then when you have 19 feeders like I do, that comes out to a lot of savings a year if you can stop the coons and squirrels. Most don't loose that much though but it's more then most realize. The best way to find out how much corn your loosing to varmints is to take a 5 gallon bucket and set your feeder to go off for it's normal run times for the day and then put the 5 gallon bucket over the spinner plate then just way the corn after it's feedings for the day. Most of my feeders will loose about 150# a month to varmints if I don't have good cages on them and that's even with Eliminator spin plates on them. I hate cages because they knock most of the corn straight down and are a pain to deal with. Yes a 150#s is only about $18 a month but that is $216.00 a year per feeder not to mention the extra time and gas it takes to get that extra corn and fill feeders.

I built a couple out of that same varmint buster and the both stopped working in less then a month because the varmint buster died in both of them. Bought two more varmint busters and they died also.
                      Last edited by gonehuntin68; 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Well look who it is!! What's up Rob. Hope you've been well. I'm Going to try and build one that will last longer and give more of a shock.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                          Cool! Post some pics of it all installed. In for the results.
                          This, and try to get some video of it in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                            It only adds up if you add it up!

Stop bringing that kinda nonsense in here![emoji848]

Comment

They have been draining our protein feeders as well. Need to do something similar!

Comment

Working...
                              X