No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what he looked like alive. A bull!.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      Here's what he looked like alive. A bull!.
      DANG!!!
      Too bad.
      How old was he?

Comment

Dang, even your small deer are monsters.

Just curious, have you ever had issues with poaching?

Comment

Not sure of his age. Either 5 or 6 best guess.

Poaching used to be rampant in our area. We actually had to hire armed , uniformed sheriff to patrol property. Today I don't think we have any problem and haven't had a problem for about 15 yrs.Both my neighbor and I live on the property and watch it very closely.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
            Sweet,
            How do you keep the deer from getting it all?

Comment

So let me introduce you to my garden. It is built on the 'back to eden ' gardening principles where I use deep mulches of alfalfa hay to eliminate weeds, provide fertility, and continually improve the soil. Been totally organic for years.
              I've had a heck of a time keeping the weeds under control in my garden, especially the last three years. I've barked mulch, cardboard, cloth weed barrier, etc with not much success. Saw what you did, so I'm going with a thick mulch base of straw this year. Hoping it works out.

Comment

Looks great. Check out some of the youtube videos about Paul Gautschi and the " Back to Eden " gardening concept. You may find it interesting. There is one that is about 1:40 which while long gives a great overview. Plenty of shorter ones as well. All interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                  Are you asking how I keep deer out of my garden? The garden is in my yard close to my house. It is also outside the game fence. My neighbor is also an avid gardener. His home and garden are inside the fence and he does have the occasional deer in his garden. He uses a motion activated sprinkler. It's gotten me before stealing his vegetables. Quite a surprise.

Comment

Built a jig that allows us to put roller crimper on FEL while using drill on back of tractor. Experimenting with it this morning to learn how it works. We are starting to crimp fall elbon rye in preparation of spring planting which could start as early as next week depending on how wet it is.Will report progress.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Does it do as well pushing it backwards as it does pulling it. That looks like it’s working well should cut down on time and fuel

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                        Does it do as well pushing it backwards as it does pulling it. That looks like it’s working well should cut down on time and fuel
                        The crimping action seems as effective being pushed backwards but the tractor is harder to steer. Definitely a learning curve. We have put the crimper on the back now and will continue with several fields we hope to crimp before the rains hit.PLan to start planting straight soy bean fields next week if not too wet.

Comment

Built a jig that allows us to put roller crimper on FEL while using drill on back of tractor. Experimenting with it this morning to learn how it works. We are starting to crimp fall elbon rye in preparation of spring planting which could start as early as next week depending on how wet it is.Will report progress.

Interesting. Do you spray your fall plants also or just crimp them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Dushon;13275473]Interesting. Do you spray your fall plants also or just crimp them?

The crimper will kill the rye. Before I start planting I will look closely at the fields to see if weeds are going to be a problem. If so I will spray the fields I am planting in a combo cover with gly before planting.

Where I am planting straight soybeans I will wait till beans are up growing well then spray with flex star which will knock the weeds back till the beans canopy and shade everything out.

The ultimate plan is for the rye to be thick enough to create a thatch that smothers weeds allowing the crops to get a head start and canopy before weeds can get going. My fields aren't there yet.

Comment

[quote=elgato;13276246]
                              Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                              Interesting. Do you spray your fall plants also or just crimp them?

The crimper will kill the rye. Before I start planting I will look closely at the fields to see if weeds are going to be a problem. If so I will spray the fields I am planting in a combo cover with gly before planting.

Where I am planting straight soybeans I will wait till beans are up growing well then spray with flex star which will knock the weeds back till the beans canopy and shade everything out.

The ultimate plan is for the rye to be thick enough to create a thatch that smothers weeds allowing the crops to get a head start and canopy before weeds can get going. My fields aren't there yet.

I’m pretty sure I’m messing up. But I started planting my spring stuff into my fall plots this afternoon. I usually don’t plant til mid April or so but my boss wants to plant before the rain we’re getting this week and he pays the bills. Drilling into existing wheat, rye, and crimson with some radish and turnips mixed in. I’d like to let the crimson run its course, don’t particularly care about the wheat or rye anymore and the turnips and radishes are already done with. So I can’t spray it, but that crimper is an interesting way to get rid of the stuff you don’t want anymore. Doesn’t affect your clover I’d imagine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Correct, the crimper doesn't kill the clover. What are you planting? Depending on what the weather does you might be ok.The drill will do an ok job of mashing down the small grains and even if the radishes or turnips bolt its not a big deal. Depending on what you plant you can spray later with good results. Later spraying is why I don't like to mix grasses and legumes in the summer mixes.

I watch the farmers around my area and poach on their schedules.

Comment

Working...
                                X