Preppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preppers

My wife is concerned about a natural disaster or being attacked by North Korea or something. She wants to be "ready". What exactly do y'all store up? I was going to buy her a case of water from Costco.

I keep 5 to 10 gallons of Ozarka 2.5 gallons containers and about 30 cans of the thick n hearty stews, they are 16 oz cans. The whole set up will keep me and mine going for two weeks if need be. I don't prep for anything more than that, if the apocalypse comes it comes.

Comment

Water food Medical security Communications and a few other categories. Very broad topic that would take hours to discuss.

Comment

Give her a gun and ammo. The rest she can "take"...

Don't forget that your water heater holds a bunch of water if needed.

Comment

Just build a long range gun. You can have access to whatever you need

Comment

I just plan on raiding all the unarmed liberals

Comment

I typically just wait for these threads---make note of who is stocking up so I know where to go when the **** hits the fan.
              Personally, I'm headed to Polk county.. there are stories of a guy with excessive amounts of elephant meat in a wooden cabin. should be easy pickin's if I can get past the 6 kadrillizin lumen porch light...
              Last edited by systemnt; 05-01-2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Ammunition. Especially 22 rimfire. You can carry a couple.hundred in your pockets. Also quite a few 5.56. And a plan on where to go if I have to evacuate.

Comment

Natural disasters, civil unrest, economic collapse are the most likely scenarios where you would need to have some stuff stored up. She probably has a greater chance of catching a communicable disease from an albino black panther than suffering an attack from North Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    She probably has a greater chance of catching a communicable disease from an albino black panther than suffering an attack from North Korea.
                    So you're saying there is a chance[emoji16]

Comment

i bought 100 acres about 5 miles from the nearest "town".... (the town is about 100 people). put a sea container on it, had a well drilled and it's running on solar into a 2500 gallon tank. right now, my UTV is out there, and about 40 gallons of gas, and 50 gallons of diesel. I have a couple 30 day emergency food supply (25 year shelf life) canisters out there, a large tent, sleeping bags, and other necessities. there's only 1 road in that is 4 miles long, and you can't see anything from the road.

now, I didn't buy it for this purpose, but it would serve it well. it's always good to have a contingency plan.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonh View Post
                        so you're saying there is a chance[emoji16]
                        lol!!

Comment

Start with basics.

You can only live for 3 minutes without air,

You can only live for about 3 days without water,

You can only live for about 3 weeks without food,

Depending on the time of year, you can only live about 3 hours without shelter.

If you are planning on staying where you are at, don't worry about the shelter part. That's why I left it for last. Your water heater holds at least 30 gallons depending on if it is a tankless or standard water heater. The toilet tanks (not the toilet bowls) hold a gallon or two. Figure one gallon per person per day, more during the summer, and more if you are active during the summer. Canned foods are great as you just have to heat them up, just make sure you have a manual can opener.

The most important prep is medical. A simple cut, if not treated, could get infected and kill you since sanitation is hard to do in a SHTF situation.

We all have firearms and know how to use them so that why I didn't list that. Keep in mind too that quiet firearms can be very beneficial. You don't want to let the entire world know what is going on and where you are at.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post

My wife is concerned about being attacked by North Korea or something.

She wants to be "ready".

I was going to buy her a case of water from Costco.
                            I would buy her a case of ▼ and see what she says.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tin Foil.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	24494068

Comment

If you have the space, it makes sense to me to be prepared with extras of the things you normally use. Buy a couple weeks worth of the canned goods you normally eat and as you use them, replenish them. Keep a few 5-gallon containers of gas in the garage and once a month dump them into your truck tank and refill them. Buy a couple extra boxes of ammo for your deer rifle, a decent medical kit, and pull a grand in small bills out of your savings. You'll be set for a 2-4 weeks with minimal investment.

It is foolish to me that so many "preppers" invest thousands of dollars into stuff they'll never use, like 2 years worth of MRE's that won't get eaten and be thrown out. Most of their families would be better off if they put the money in a mutual fund, college fund, or even just savings. Seriously, what scenario do you envision where you'll be shooting 5,000 rounds of .22, .223, or 9mm ammo? Going to war daily with raiding parties? Not to mention a lot of those guys are so fat they couldn't sprint up a flight of stairs.

I agree that if it is the end of the world, I'll happily go to heaven. A Katrina-type disaster is what I'd prepare for.
                              Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 05-01-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X