No announcement yet.

Euro in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done both, boiling (more like slow boil to simmer) as stated works better if u do it right away, it just falls off the bone, I have a decicated pot. The maceration technique works great too, but dont change the water, I just let that baby sit for 3-4 weeks and gag my butt off adding a little more water, dont change the water!. Macerating the skull produces such a bad smell my neighbors complained lol. But its the most hands off, each to his own, I like boiling, cause my dogs like the boiled meat!

Comment

I have tried the boiling on a squirrel that I made an articulated skeleton. That was not pleasant, and my roommates didn't appreciate it at all. I also tried bleach on a coyote skull and it made it really brittle. I'm going to try this technique on a pig skull soon. Whats the best method for whitening? De-greasing with soap or kerosene?

Comment

I'm going to have to try this method. Does it matter if it's the dry Rid-x or the Liquid rid-X ?

Comment

Nice Euro. Good job!

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
              I'm going to have to try this method. Does it matter if it's the dry Rid-x or the Liquid rid-X ?
              I use dry, but it shouldn't matter it's the same bacteria in either one. You don't have to use rid-x at all, but it does speed up the process.

Comment

Some of you had asked about whitening. Go to a sally's beauty supply and pick up some Volume 40 cream and whitening powder. The powder should come with a little cup inside. Mix one cup and some cream to a milk shake consistency. Smells like ammonia. Liberally coat your skull and let sit over night. ( Don't get any on the antlers)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351828239.959980.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	24135420here it is now sitting in the dawn dish soap and water. I'll take it out Saturday morning when I get off work to let it dry out, then on to whitening it. After that all that's left is making a plaque and hanging it on the wall

Comment

I just finished boiling and cleaning off my son's deer head, but I have a boar head that I may try this method with. It still has some dried hide/hair on it, and I'm not too keen on putting that in my stock pot!

Comment

I have a deer, 2 hogs, a javelina, and an alligator all macerating as I type. They've only been going for a couple days, and I'm already second guessing myself due to the smell. I do know that I'm wearing my full face respirator when it comes time to open the containers.

Comment

This looks like a good method. I boiled a few last year. I have the stuff to do it, plus I have a power washer, so I never did any picking or scraping. HOWEVER, I didn't take too kindly to boiled brain matter splashing back all over my chest and face when I pointed the nozzle way up in there.
                        Anyhow, do you still have to skin everything and get the lower jaw removed 1st before you drop it in the bucket? It seemed like that was the hardest, most labor-some part of the whole process.

Comment

Originally posted by jwedel View Post
                          This looks like a good method. I boiled a few last year. I have the stuff to do it, plus I have a power washer, so I never did any picking or scraping. HOWEVER, I didn't take too kindly to boiled brain matter splashing back all over my chest and face when I pointed the nozzle way up in there.
                          Anyhow, do you still have to skin everything and get the lower jaw removed 1st before you drop it in the bucket? It seemed like that was the hardest, most labor-some part of the whole process.
                          You can throw the head in whole if that's the way you want to do it, but it's going to take a lot longer for the bacteria to break everything down before you have a good clean skull, probably a couple of months in the water.

Comment

Here it is fresh out of the degreaserClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352071266.173137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24137187

Comment

I do several dozen each year like this. Regarding the smell, I worked my first job out of A&M as a shift manager at a chicken kill plant. My maseration process makes others gag and even throw up. Luckily for me, it's a walk in the park compared to that $24k/year Pilgrim's Pride hell hole in Deep Ellum.

When we lived in the city, my neighbors absolutely dreaded a NE wind!

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                                I do several dozen each year like this. Regarding the smell, I worked my first job out of A&M as a shift manager at a chicken kill plant. My maseration process makes others gag and even throw up. Luckily for me, it's a walk in the park compared to that $24k/year Pilgrim's Pride hell hole in Deep Ellum.

When we lived in the city, my neighbors absolutely dreaded a NE wind!
                                What do you use to degrease and Whiten? I'm always looking to learn something new from someone that knows more than my self.

Comment

Working...
                                X