Advice for Trad Hunting Rookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
    Do I need to worry about the rain damaging the bow?
    Not so much the bow, but wool string silencers will get heavy and affect your bows tune. Feathers will also be affected by the rain.

Don't expect to get something everytime. But know that whatever you draw on will die. That confidence can be the difference between a good shot and. a bit si good one.
    I've had deer within feet of me many times, but have yet to get one. Chalk it up as a learning experience and keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
      Do I need to worry about the rain damaging the bow?
      Not really.

Most bows have a coating that protects any wood that it is made from. You just wipe off or let those surfaces air dry. If you do have any large nicks in your riser, you can lightly sand and dab some super glue over it.

If you have a takedown bow, it is a good idea after it gets wet to go ahead and take it down, and dry and spots that water could have reached. When my widow got soaked in the rain, I kept shooting, etc. When I got home, I took it down and wiped any moisture that got in between the limbs and the riser.

That is about it. I shot one of my best 3D rounds the month prior in a pouring rain. Feathers were flat so I was practically shooting "bareshaft." The string is waxed so no concerns over moisture there.

Which reminds me one other thing... I always keep my quiver full of broadhead tipped arrows. After that rain, I didn't take out the arrows and wipe them down. They formed a bit of rust on the exposed edge that I had to touch up. I think I have read that some guys put Vaseline or some coating on their broadheads to prevent rust... but I haven't tried that yet. I just need to remember the next time to pull those out and wipe them off.

Comment

awesome stuff here in

Comment

Great thread!

I have found that I can "wire" a deer up by looking at it. They see the predatory eyes and it gets them jazzed and ready to bolt. I avert my eyes and use my periphery if in the open or play peekyboo behind my cover...tree, shrub, rock, etc. I wait until the tail goes down or swishes and the head does too and feeding or frolicing commences before I move. I feel like Wile E Coyote looking at the Roadrunner...they know the Acme jetpack rollerskates are coming. ( I might not have this problem if I hunted in a manufactured blind or popup blind.)

I am a trad rookie...and I cant wait to get busted...or hopefully not.
          Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-18-2016, 09:43 AM. Reason: BustedSpake

Comment

I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to get my old recurve ready to go. I've never killed any big game with traditional equipment but the deer and pigs on our place are pretty accommodating so if I can get decent at 15 yards in the next few weeks I may have a chance. I do fairly well with the arrows for my compound at ten yards right now. Hopefully with proper arrows I can zero in a little better at longer ranges. I just hope I do well enough to talk myself into a nicer bow.

Comment

And btw, Buff is pretty bad azz shooting a traditional bow. Watching him whiz arrows down range hitting three d animals dead in the vitals out to 40+ yards really has kicked me in the butt to get it done this year. At 52 yo there is not enough next years left to keep letting laziness and self doubt keep me from fulfilling the dream.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                And btw, Buff is pretty bad azz shooting a traditional bow. Watching him whiz arrows down range hitting three d animals dead in the vitals out to 40+ yards really has kicked me in the butt to get it done this year. At 52 yo there is not enough next years left to keep letting laziness and self doubt keep me from fulfilling the dream.
                Welcome to the addiction. If you stick with it, the day you get your first trad kill, you will kick yourself in the butt for putting it off so long!

And yes, Buff is pretty bad azz with a trad bow!

Bisch

Comment

I know it has only been mentioned a few times;

Practice like you hunt!!!

Don't let your hunting jacket surprise you when your string hits it and your arrow is 5' short of the target.

For Heaven's sake don't shoot your broadheads the first time, on your first hunt.

Pick a spot on your target, don't aim for a whole deer. I know this is an old cliché but it is more important shooting a traditional bow than ever before.

Good Luck this Season

Comment

Good info in here

Comment

Well I have new arrows, new shelf pad, string set up and ready to shoot. Now let's see if I still can at least keep it on the bag.

Comment

'Bout that time again.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll offer this advice. If you're a former compound shooter don't let your past success and confidence it that equipment influence your decisions with trad equipment. Stand placement, elevation, angle, range, everything. Because the longer bow, angle of string to limb ends, limb ends and tree limbs and everything else has changed. Assume nothing and reprepare for everything.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            I'll offer this advice. If you're a former compound shooter don't let your past success and confidence it that equipment influence your decisions with trad equipment. Stand placement, elevation, angle, range, everything. Because the longer bow, angle of string to limb ends, limb ends and tree limbs and everything else has changed. Assume nothing and reprepare for everything.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                            Not to mention the extreme difference in arrow arch. Great advice DRT.

Comment

I have decided to put my compound away this year and only use my recurve.

I've never killed anything with trad equipment so this will be an experience.

Comment

SwampRabbit, very good post especially on points 1 and 6.

Deer will drop when you shoot many times. When I first started shooting a bow my mentor told me to aim like you were going to shave the bottom of the deer's chest cavity. I was not a true believer and shot over the first two deer I shot at from elevated stands. I read a post a few days ago in which a couple of guys insisted that a deer would never drop.

Always take your bow into the stand you are going to hunt from well below the season, especially if you previously shot compounds. Make sure you have clearance for your bow limbs as well as trimming any limbs in a tree you may be hunting from. Don't trim too much of a tree as you still want and need cover but the last thing you need is having a bow limb hang up on a tree limb or small branch as you try to draw on a deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X