Trying again-Aging deer in the Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying again-Aging deer in the Field

With all the people asking about age.....

I keep it simple--they are either young (up to 2.5), middle-age (3.5-5.5) or old (5.5+)

Comment

I have been fortunate enough to hunt ranches with an established age structure for many years. This gives you the advantage of seeing and watching bucks of all ages in front of you at the same time on the same hunt. It also allows you to follow the characteristics of a particular buck throughout his life to 6, 7 or even older sometimes.

If I did not have this experience and most of my sightings were of 3 year old bucks and younger, I think it would be real hard for me to age a buck to be 5 or 6.

Aging on the hoof is never going to be a science, its a best guess but the more that we study and practice the better we can get. There is still no substitute for watching a deer grow up and get old.

Comment

I'm on a new lease and I think a bunch of the guys out there don't know how to properly age a deer on the hoof. Can y'all recommend a field guide that has pictures or illustrations of what to look for? I want to buy one and put it out in the camp house.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          I keep it simple--they are either young (up to 2.5), middle-age (3.5-5.5) or old (5.5+)
          Biologist put it this way

Immature 1.5 to 3.5
          Mature 4.5 to 6.5
          Post Mature 7.5 +

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
            I'm on a new lease and I think a bunch of the guys out there don't know how to properly age a deer on the hoof. Can y'all recommend a field guide that has pictures or illustrations of what to look for? I want to buy one and put it out in the camp house.
            Dont know who puts it out but at my buddies lease they have a laminated age progression card in every blind., Ill google and see if I can find it.

Comment

Everytime I click on it my phone leaves google, but the card we had is progressive inhanced photos of the same deer in the same posture.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Biologist put it this way

I think every blind needs one of those laminated sheets.

Immature 1.5 to 3.5
                Mature 4.5 to 6.5
                Post Mature 7.5 +
                I’ve heard this. But I Never considered a four mature Or a 7.5 post mature.

Comment

Working...
                X