My 6.5CM from APR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 6.5CM from APR

I got my TBH special from APR and been working with it some. I have a Luepold VX 5HD mounted on it. I tried a few loads today and thought I would share some info.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM.

I chose the Berger 135gr Classic Hunter bullet, Lapua brass, Rem BR primers and Reloder 26 powder. Berger has RL26 max charge listed at 49.8 grs, I could only get 49.5 grs in my cases using a drop tube.

Comment

I ran 15 rounds down the barrel today and inspected the brass for any pressure signs and found none. Some on here have said they are pushing their 6.5 CM with 140 gr bullets at over 3000 fps. I could not get near that with a 26 inch barrel. This was my average velocity for 5 shot string.

Comment

My Standard Deviation was 12. I think the RL26 powder is the way to go, but you will need a drop tube to charge the cases. Accuracy so far is MOA at 200 yards and that might improve with better shooting conditions and a little tweaking of the load.

Comment

I am very happy with the rifle and loading for the 6.5 CM has been very easy so far.

Comment

Nice. Still waiting on mine. Almost can't contain the excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              Nice. Still waiting on mine. Almost can't contain the excitement.
              Very nice rifle for the money. I load all my own ammo, and try to squeeze all the accuracy out of a rifle as possible. I do believe this rifle will be very accurate once I get a few bugs worked out and get better shooting conditions.

We got a rain about 7 am today and when I got to the range there was a head wind and the mirage was so strong the targets looked like they at the bottom of a swimming pool. Targets were set at 200 yards, might should have put them at 100 yards.

I shot a few rounds anyway and was more interested in what my chronograph would tell me.

Comment

Nice! Here's a little tip for you if you have a vibratory tumbler. Put the funnel over the case and drop the charge. Then with the funnel still being held over the case hold it against the vibrating tumbler. You will be able to get more powder in the case than you will by using a long drop tube alone. The vibration from the tumbler really helps to settle the powder.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Nice! Here's a little tip for you if you have a vibratory tumbler. Put the funnel over the case and drop the charge. Then with the funnel still being held over the case hold it against the vibrating tumbler. You will be able to get more powder in the case than you will by using a long drop tube alone. The vibration from the tumbler really helps to settle the powder.
                  Yes, I have done that in the past as well. Once I get all the brass fire formed , we will how much capacity increases. I’m only 3 tenths of a grain away from max. Next round will be two tenths up and two tenths down.

I think the fellas that posted that they are getting over 3000fps with their 6.5CM using 140 gr bullets are living on the edge .

Comment

Working...
                  X