Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when the numbers just don't add up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if he has no plans to enter in the book and simply would like to know what he scored then why not get a second score on it? I think the intent of no "score shopping" was for book entry. If he simply wants to know then why not? If the second score is significantly different than the first then there obviously was a problem with one of them. If it is close to the first then there you go. Either way, he should do whatever makes him happy.

Comment

Ive never scored a deer. Thats a buck of a lifetime low fence non protein pet project

Comment

Why don't y'all just score him yourself and see what you get?

Comment

That's a non-typical rack so I can definitely see the deductions. Scored as a non-typical you don't do deductions. But it takes more to make the book as a non-typical.

Comment

I think he might be right on score. The deer in my avatar scored 164 and change with 7" of that being off of the back bases that you can't see.
            Last edited by COOLDAD1; 09-14-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I could see his scores being correct for Gross and Net Typical. They will be higher for Gross and Net Non-typical.

He is one of those deer that has a lot of character and the score sheet doesn’t reflect how big he looks.

He is a great looking buck.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw View Post
                That's a non-typical rack so I can definitely see the deductions. Scored as a non-typical you don't do deductions. But it takes more to make the book as a non-typical.
                You still have deducts on a non-typical frame. Evidentally he's not big enough to make it as a NT....and all the deducts just kill him as a TYP. Very nice deer though. Congrats to your buddy.
                Last edited by Passthrough; 09-14-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw View Post
                  There are still deductions for the Typical portion of the rack on a Non-typical deer.

I would like to see how scorers determine the typical portion of the rack on freaks like the Mark Lee, Robert Taylor and AJ Downs bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                    Why don't y'all just score him yourself and see what you get?
                    x2 and call it a day. No need being worked up over a number not being what you want.

Comment

I cant see why anyone would allow a score to determine whether or not they are happy with a kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                        You still have deducts on a non-typical frame. Evidentally he's not big enough to make it as a NT....and all the deducts just kill him as a TYP. Very nice deer though. Congrats to your buddy.
                        He is very happy to have harvested this buck. He's not obsessed with the score but want to know and will enter it if it makes it. He just wants to be sure. We will put a tape to it. I may be wrong in my assumption. I don't think he has enough NT to not make a TYP score minimum. We'll see. He is going to get him re-scored next week. Interesting perspectives on here and it seems most folks as my friend is, are more interested in the uniqueness and personal trophy aspect of it more that the score.

Comment

Numbers don't match at all to me. It wouldn't be the first time someone missed a score either. I tried to be pretty conservative, but my numbers are this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                            Numbers don't match at all to me. It wouldn't be the first time someone missed a score either. I tried to be pretty conservative, but my numbers are this.

Thanks for the opinion. I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckslayertx View Post
                              Thanks for the opinion. I agree with you.

I agree with the "the numbers shouldn't matter" crowd to a degree. I'm sure when that buck walked out your buddy wasn't running numbers on a calculator trying to decide if he was a shooter or not. That said, when he's on the tailgate and pictures are being shared, you want to know what he scores. Hell, I want to know what he scores lol. I'd take it to another official scorer even if that score wasn't able to be submitted for whatever reason.

I went years making sure my entire set up was P&Y legit so that when I did kill one I could enter him in the books. I was kind of obsessed with it. I've killed a bunch of them now and don't have a single one entered in the books.

Comment

It's a great buck no matter the score and it sure looks good on the wall. Considering the fact that he took him with a bow it makes the buck even more impressive. I would be very proud to have that deer on my wall. Congratulations to the hunter.

Comment

Working...
                                X