No announcement yet.

Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog dogs, and coon dogs for that matter, are HORRIBLE on the land. I don't care what the doggers say about their dogs don't chase deer, blah blah, it's all bull crap. You send a pack of bellowing dogs through any woods and the deer will leave. Maybe not all of them but the majority will. I've seen it, in person, over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
      Hog dogs, and coon dogs for that matter, are HORRIBLE on the land. I don't care what the doggers say about their dogs don't chase deer, blah blah, it's all bull crap. You send a pack of bellowing dogs through any woods and the deer will leave. Maybe not all of them but the majority will. I've seen it, in person, over and over again.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet I know who is running on your place. Call and go with him , if there aren't many hogs around the time they spend there is about to stop. By the way you are describing the place I question why you are even paying to hunt there.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
          I bet I know who is running on your place. Call and go with him , if there aren't many hogs around the time they spend there is about to stop. By the way you are describing the place I question why you are even paying to hunt there.
          Mike the place is next door to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
            Last year was my first year on the place and my 2 big +'s were -

1) Location- it's close to my home and work. This allows me to mix hunting w/ working on certain days.
            2) The potential for shooting a decent buck. Some good deer in the general area.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
              Last year was my first year on the place and my 2 big +'s were -

1) Location- it's close to my home and work. This allows me to mix hunting w/ working on certain days.
              2) The potential for shooting a decent buck. Some good deer in the general area.
              Sounds like a good place and not worth raising a stir. I would think it would be best to work with the farmer and landowner. You may ask the farmer and landowner if the hog dogs can stay out during deer season. I will take dogs hunting once in awhile on our place and it does not run deer out like some claim. I doubt those people have any experience with it but just an opinion. Maybe my place is an exception, but I see the same bucks year after year and harvest some mature ones for our area. The worst thing to me is having a pack of hogs settle in on your feed or bedding area right before or during bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                Mike the place is next door to mine.
                If that's the case I'd spend a pretty penny to hunt there
                I would have a problem with the dogs running around though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                  The deer running from dogs and the dogs chasing them is 2 diff things. Nice comparison though

Deer will run from guys walking thru the woods

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    The deer running from dogs and the dogs chasing them is 2 diff things. Nice comparison though

Deer will run from guys walking thru the woods
                    Coming from a guy that's comparing guys walking through the woods to a pack of baying dogs running through the woods. lol

Comment

We have hog doggers on one of the places i hunt, and it does not run the deer off, it just moves them around making them hard to pattern and wirey. I don't need any extra challenge.

I would be just fine with that if the use of hog dogs was actually a tool with any affect on the hogs. But it is merely another form of hunting and I personally don't care for the extra activity in an area I am trying to deer hunt. In order to keep the peace I do not say a word as long as they stop prior to deer season. But if i had my preference they would not be allowed on our place. I have a feeder I would love to feed to bowhunt hogs in the off season, but ive tried that before and the hog hunters came straight to my feeder every morning. The hogs went nocturnal which meant i was simply feeding hogs for them to have a place to start. no thanks.

They have ZERO POINT ZERO affect on the hog population, no reason for them to be there unless you are just being kind.

Comment

3k acres we run dogs all the time. The hogs move out for a little while then come back.
                        I go and watch for the fun as far as the dogs not tracking I call BS I have watched hogs come across the right of ways and then the dogs come on the same trail. I have had hogs run 5 plus miles to get away.
                        As far as deer it has no effect on them.
                        I welcome dog runners as long as I know how the dogs are.
                        17 hogs run down in one week that's 2 days aint bad.

Comment

Working...
                        X