No announcement yet.

Duck hunting on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick an unused blind in Lighthouse Cove out of Port O'Connor, there's like 75 to choose from seriously. All public property.

Comment

Just hunted Ports Mansfield this past thanksgiving break. 4 of us put in with a Jon boat out of Port Mansfield and hunted the public land south. It took about a 20minutes to get to. In 4 days we harvested 80 birds. Hundreds of thousands of red heads located in Port M, you just need to let them fly and pick out the other species. We didn't even use built blinds. We took a machete and cut down some mangrove trees on the island and set them in front of us. Perfect hunting blind. To bring in the ducks all you need is a decent set of decoys. We even shot two geese. Great time.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
        Granger Lake near Taylor TX.
        that's where I hunt as well granger lake only been able to go once so far though

Comment

anyone having any luck duck hunting??

Comment

If I had a line on where they where I'd tell you...I'm not an original Texan.... Telling folks where we killin'em is a Louisiana way of life....I don't get after them till round Christmas but if I get on em' I'll let you know. I hunt Cooper and Lavon and it's too much work for 1 man to go out and shoot a limit so company is always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
              East Tx you can hunt most lakes. As mentioned, check with each lake as to rules and hunt boundaries. Fork, Toledo, Rayburn, Lake O Pines, Palestine, Navarro Mills, Richland Chambers can all be really good.
              Richland creek WMA for sure, theres a reason its popular.

Comment

Dam B can be good at times, lots of good backwater to hunt, be careful if you bring a dog, lots of Gators!

Comment

Originally posted by hxc016 View Post
                  I’m looking for a place to go duck hunting on public land in Texas and I wanted to know if anyone had some good suggestions?
                  Had a hunting lease on San Antonio Bay next to the Aransas refuge. While wade I noticed the ducks didn't pay much attention to you if you didn't look at them and the late morning fishermen moving around in the bay stirred them up a good bit. Pretty easy to get a limit pass shooting ducks.

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
                    Your not gonna get a lot of responses on this, most duck hunters are tight lipped and are not even gonna name the lake they hunt. I hunt private land, public land is a mess and way to much drama.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want to kill many birds, you will need to scout the hunters and the birds. There are some places that have been listed already where you can kill plenty of birds and be an avg hunter.

Comment

I post this on every duck thread I see in hopes of finally meeting some TBH'ers on the water.... hasn't happened yet.

Man, the spot where I crappie fish (and catch limits every time) is the perfect spot for duck hunting too! Right where a little creek runs into the lake.

38°12'20.6"N 97°38'51.3"E
                        38.205715, 97.647588

Comment

I have hunted public land around lake Whitney. There can be some good hints, but stopped hunting it because of the amount of people who aren't afraid to set up right on top of you. I have also hunted the coast a few times. I have never had much luck on the coast hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
                            Your not gonna get a lot of responses on this, most duck hunters are tight lipped and are not even gonna name the lake they hunt. I hunt private land, public land is a mess and way to much drama.
                            I remember early 2000's, I hardly ever saw public land duck hunters, guess it wasn't a cool thing to do. Then the duck dynasty thing happened and it got stupid, funniest thing was how many of them had long beards like the reality show guys

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                              Yep! How many of y'all remember duck hunting before it was "cool"?
                              Those were the days!
                              Wish we could tbt

Comment

Hunted the Opener of the second split in Matagorda this past weekend. About 45 minutes before shooting light a boat pulls up and says "you're gonna have to get out of our blind or scoot over" Them locals sure are touchy and protective about "their" blinds on public land. Oh, and we didn't get out of the blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X