Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 acre ranch build - raw land to paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I've officially lost my patience with random dogs. These two have been officially ruining my spot.

From now on, they are coyotes to me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sneaky; 11-07-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I did get this little meatball on camera though. He is now the fourth deer I've seen on my place. I'm saving my last buck tag for some amazing places I've been invited to hunt this season, but I'll see if my Dad or one of my friends wants to add him to the freezer.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky View Post
        ok, i've officially lost my patience with random dogs. These two have been officially ruining my spot.

From now on, they are coyotes to me.
        s.s.s.

Comment

Well, it was a busy weekend with Fun Fun Fun Fest going on, but I managed to eek out a little time to get the angles figured out and the left side frame of the blind mostly built.

Since the blind will be 7' tall at the front, and 6' tall at the back side (where the entry door will be), and since the blind has 6' of width, the pitch was 2/12. Or in other words, 12 inches of elevation change over 72 inches of length.

Then, based on that, the main degree I am using is 9.5. That said, I got the perimeter of the frame built, and now all I need to do is add in two studs, box out the horizontal shooting window (about 32" wide), and add a few noggins and I'll be good. Then rinse and repeat for the other side, and get started on the front wall.

Comment

cool...pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Navasot View Post
              Id just find out were they have been coming through and set a few small steel traps.... it wont hurt them but should get some attention..

Or just go to the county office and see if they know him. Do you ever see him in and out during the time your there?
              I ended up calling the sheriff, letting him know what was going on, and he said he'd pay them a visit and let them know that my property is no longer unoccupied, and any previous arrangement the kids might have had with a previous landowner are no longer in effect.

Originally posted by TexasN1880 View Post
              looks like your doing a great job. looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              Looking good! Congrats!
              Thanks!!

Originally posted by GenePool View Post
              fun isn't it, making a piece of property your own!
              Yes it is!

Originally posted by eltacs View Post
              The best part of having your own place is the WORK that you put into it.

My place is not perfect by any sense , but I love to go out there, work and tinker around..

I get a lot of personal satisfaction from it.
              Originally posted by Soybean View Post
              Fun to watch this come together...
              It's a blast getting out there and putting in that sweat equity for sure.

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
              s.s.s.

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
              cool...pics?
              Will get some taken this week once I finish out one of the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                Well, it was a busy weekend with Fun Fun Fun Fest going on, but I managed to eek out a little time .
                We were at the fest as well, can't say we had fun fun fun but it was ok, wish I would have spent the weekend hunting thouh

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWebb View Post
                  We were at the fest as well, can't say we had fun fun fun but it was ok, wish I would have spent the weekend hunting thouh
                  I too was disappointed at how each year, the tickets and drinks get more expensive, and the PIP/USP benefits get worse and worse....

The wife and I decided this will probably be our last year going.

Comment

Love these threads... following

Comment

Following, good stuff.

Comment

I too was disappointed at how each year, the tickets and drinks get more expensive, and the PIP/USP benefits get worse and worse....

The wife and I decided this will probably be our last year going.
                        We didn't even bother going on Sunday after the disappointment of Friday and Saturday. The fact that they booked Slayer and MGMT to play at the same time, when they were the only bands I had ever heard of on Sunday is unreal. We definitely will not be going again next year.

Comment

Right frame is nearly done!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

getting there!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Excellent. Following along and taking notes.
                              This

Comment

Sorry, bud! I've been busy with work and some bowhunting at another property here recently. :-)

The updates are going to pick up a lot of steam in November and December though!

I haven't seen any deer on my place yet, but I with the work I have planned, I expect them to be at my place in time for next year's season.

Thanks, guys!

UPDATES:

1. Electricity is coming! I have met up with Heart of Texas Coop, and we're getting the location of my pole that will have the security light worked out. It's going to be right near the front gate, unsurprisingly.

Also, there will be one other pole at the back of the one acre box up front, that will have a 200amp meter loop on it. From there, I will have an electrician pull of that and make me a box with several receptables that can handle everything from RV hookups to some 110v's for extension cords to power small appliances.

2. Plans for water - My short term plan will involve getting two 275gallon water totes. I will bring one to the property empty, then fill a second one, bring it to the property on a flatbed, and pump the water into the empty one. It should be more than enough to take care of my camping water needs well through the winter season!

3. Hogs - Haven't shot one yet! Those M-F'ers show up every night except the nights I show up! I will be building a really nice big box blind for comfy late night hog hunting hoepfully next month, and will definitely provide great documentation of that build.

4. Gate - JACK71 build me an absolutely AMAZING gate, as per my previous pics. He and I have both been pretty busy lately, but I'm going to get the holes dug, pipes cemented in, and then we'll be good to go to hang that beauty!

5. Road base - I want to have road base laid down from the front entrance of the property all the way back to where the 30' easement opens up to the big main acreage, in addition to a loop in the front acre to make parking an RV or vehicles under the shade of the trees convenient. About 900' of road base in total. To do so at around 5" thick and ten feet wide is looking like it's going to cost me around $5500! Ouch! Hopefully I will be able to get that done around tax refund time. :-) :-)

6. Brush hog - I am still working on aligning times to make it out to the ranch of our awesome TBH compatriot Stan R, to pick up the brush hog he has so graciously allocated to me for my ranch needs. It shall happen soon!

7. Yaupon thickets - I was contemplating the idea of holding a weekend yaupon clearing party! My idea would be to round up some friends and/or TBH brothers, and make a weekend out of sawing down thickets and making them into burn piles, then having copious amounts of delicious grilled goodies, beer, and campfire shenanigans in the evenings. Would any of you be interested in such a thing?

Bruce, I hope these updates are to your satisfaction, brother!

On the subject of electricity, I have a buddy who runs a remote cabin on 12 V DC, solar Panels and wind. Only thing he needs a generator for is the A/C window unit

He runs radio, lights, tv and fans with solar/wind... Indoor lights and outdoor around his cabin and sheds.

On the subject of water, I capture rain water into 330 gallon white totes. I have two of them. If there is any way to build some type of angled platform with rain gutter attached you won't need to haul water.

Good luck man, looks like a ton of fun !!! Hard work, but it will payoff big time and you and family/friends will be kicking back with some beers round the campfire after quartering a deer

Comment

Working...
                                X