DIY hide tanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badkarma View Post
    What about the rest of the story? I hope everything is okay, but we need the see/hear the rest so we can go destroy the hides in our freezer.
    Lmao!

Comment

Oh and 1 more thing. Todays Lysol is useless in any taxidermy process.
      Old "Brown Bottle Lysol" contained Phenol.
      Phenol acts as a sterilizing agent. No bacteria can survive contact with it.. It was a staple in all shops back in the day..
      BUT thanks to your good old EPA Lysol no longer contains Phenol.. It is now useless in the taxidermy industry.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

If anyone is interested Ill do a DIY tanning tutorial. It is not rocket science obviously because Ive successfully tanned leopards, lions and almost every animal in North America BUT if certain steps are not followed it WILL NOT work.

Count me in for the tutorial. I've never tried tanning, but I have a couple of hides in the freezer that I'm going to tan.

Comment

I'll just stick with sending it to North Texas Tannery or my Taxi!

Comment

Bummer!

Comment

Yes, please on putting up a tutorial. I will probably send any important hides to North Texas but I have always been fascinated with tanning hides. I tried a couple of times with raccoons and a whitetail hide but didn't have a clue to what to do other than add salt.

Comment

Working...
              X