Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping spent casings or arrows as a memento....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping spent casings or arrows as a memento....

I was looking through some boxes today that I had some spurs and turkey beards in and noticed I had some empty shells in there. I kept my empties I shot turkeys with back in the day thinking I'd display them someday along with the turkey beards and stuff. My buddy says he has the empty brass from the bullets he's shot deer with. Is that a common thing for people to do? I guess it would be an accurate way to keep track of how many you've shot over the years.

I thought about making a display of some kind from the shells I shot turkeys with along with the spurs and beards. Just haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet.

The days of inanimate objects holding sentimental value for me are over. (Doesn’t include firearms). Less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
      The days of inanimate objects holding sentimental value for me are over. (Doesn’t include firearms). Less is more.
      Yeah I haven't done that in a long time. Rifle casings get reloaded and empty shotgun shells get kicked out on the ground now days. I had kind of forgotten about the beards and spurs I kept from the turkeys I've shot. I guess I took them for a purpose so I figure I may as well display them in some way.

I thought maybe making a shelf with a shotgun shell inlay with keychain holder type pegs on it to hang the beards and spurs off of might look cool. I haven't decided yet though. I'm brain storming since there's not a whole lot to do.

Comment

I don't like stuff cluttering up the house so I box it up and put it in storage. I have good ideas but never get around to doing it until way later. Which causes more clutter by boxing things up. With this virus thing going on I don't have an excuse. I need to do some projects I should have done a long time ago.

Comment

I have the 270 Weatherby casing from my biggest buck in my gun safe...circa 1999
          Arrow from my biggest archery buck and biggest archery pig in the back of the same safe even though the big pig broke it.
          My first robinhood mounted over my home office closet door...

Other than that, I don't keep the casings or arrows of other stuff. I try to reuse my arrows if they pass the bend test. I think I had 8 kills on the one arrow that got retired when the big boar broke it......only kept it because of above.
          Last edited by Smart; 04-05-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I have the 270 Weatherby casing from my biggest buck in my gun safe...
            Arrow from my biggest archery buck and biggest archery pig in the back of the same safe even though the big pig broke it.
            My first robinhood mounted over my home office closet door...

Other than that, I don't keep the casings or arrows of other stuff. I try to reuse my arrows if they pass the bend test. I think I had 8 kills on the one arrow that got retired when the big boar broke it......only kept it because of above.
            I'm glad you posted. You reminded me of something I did a long time ago using a piece of cord and the brass of the shotgun shell I shot a turkey with to display the beard and spurs. I could just keep doing that with the other ones. I got that idea from you. I'll probably just stack all of the spurs on one cord.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              I'm glad you posted. You reminded me of something I did a long time ago using a piece of cord and the brass of the shotgun shell I shot a turkey with to display the beard and spurs. I could just keep doing that with the other ones. I got that idea from you. I'll probably just stack all of the spurs on one cord.

Well if we are talking beards and spurs I consider those mounts and they get their due per bird....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Well if we are talking beards and spurs I consider those mounts and they get their due per bird....
                But I'm lazy.......LOL And I had a heck of a time getting the primer knocked out of that last one I did. I think I ended up using a drill bit but I don't remember. That's been a few years back at least.

Comment

I put the casings on the back of my mounts along with a short summary. Day/place/time...crap like that

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                    I put the casings on the back of my mounts along with a short summary. Day/place/time...crap like that
                    I about said something really stupid. Along with a summary. At first I thought you meant on the casing. My first thought was **** dude you write small.smh.......I'm not a smart man J-Carp. But I know what a mount is.

Comment

I did for a super long time...….casings, shells, arrows! Not anymore but the ones I have I still know the stories behind them. With all the animals in my trophy room the stories are easier by just looking at the critter.

Comment

My wife has the case from every deer she has killed since she’s started hunting with me 17 years ago. She puts a piece of scotch tape on each case with the location she shot the animal and what the animal was, she has a gallon ziplock about half full now. I like to mess with her and tell her I need the shells so I can reload them, I get some crossed looks from her on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got several spent cases that I saved but can't remember which deer i shot with which.. I should have dated or marked them some how..

Comment

I've got 50 year old kill arrows, keep them in an old back quiver.

Comment

The thing about keeping these things, what will your kids do with them when you die?

Comment

Working...
                              X