X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im tempted by this, never heard of it done in australia

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you use high strength vodka in place of everclear if it's not available?

Comment

Im actually going to crack at this tomorrow. Just to be clear though, what's the difference between apple cider and apple juice? In aus its the same thing only cider is carbonated.

We have two types of juice, regular (which looks like dehydrated wee), and cloudy which i guess i a bit more pulpy?

Comment

Originally posted by JPHunting View Post
          Im actually going to crack at this tomorrow. Just to be clear though, what's the difference between apple cider and apple juice? In aus its the same thing only cider is carbonated.

We have two types of juice, regular (which looks like dehydrated wee), and cloudy which i guess i a bit more pulpy?

I use white grape peach juice. Or a blend called peach medley. I'm more of a peach shine fan than a peach pie fan. I don't use all the sugars and such. I'll throw in some cinnamon sticks and a little brown sugar, but not the amount of sugar the recipes online call for.

With apple pie shine, I use 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 apple cider....and yes, the cider is less refined as far as I can tell as it has a lot of particles in it.

As far as using vodka goes, you sure can use it....although I think the everclear taste mellows out a lot more than the vodka does but I have limited experience using vodka in homemade shine like this.

Tonight I made peach. One batch was just a tick over the recommended everclear, and the second batch was over double the amount of everclear....hence the red "X" on those jars. Lol.

I tried a sample of the juice before adding the alcohol and it was great. I threw a couple peach slices is each jar, mixed up the peach juice and everclear in a pitcher, and filled the jars. Whew it's some strong tasting stuff. It'll mellow out in time.

Reminder: let your peach or apple juice concoction come to room temp before adding your alcohol to prevent it from cooking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
            I use white grape peach juice. Or a blend called peach medley. I'm more of a peach shine fan than a peach pie fan. I don't use all the sugars and such. I'll throw in some cinnamon sticks and a little brown sugar, but not the amount of sugar the recipes online call for.

With apple pie shine, I use 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 apple cider....and yes, the cider is less refined as far as I can tell as it has a lot of particles in it.

As far as using vodka goes, you sure can use it....although I think the everclear taste mellows out a lot more than the vodka does but I have limited experience using vodka in homemade shine like this.

Tonight I made peach. One batch was just a tick over the recommended everclear, and the second batch was over double the amount of everclear....hence the red "X" on those jars. Lol.

I tried a sample of the juice before adding the alcohol and it was great. I threw a couple peach slices is each jar, mixed up the peach juice and everclear in a pitcher, and filled the jars. Whew it's some strong tasting stuff. It'll mellow out in time.

Reminder: let your peach or apple juice concoction come to room temp before adding your alcohol to prevent it from cooking out.

Got your message while out for tea with the wife. Read it then dropped her off at a bar with her friends to comr home and try it now! Im using 1 litre of vodka in place of the everclear

Comment

May have to try it...but my last experience with Everclear, as much as I can recall, didn't turn out too well!

Comment

Think I'll make some this weekend if I get time.

Comment

I have a quart jar of sugar shine a buddy in LA gave me. I put 3 cloves, a vanilla bean and a cinnamon stick in it back in October and its been aging. Think this recipe will be a great way to cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post

This was some good shizzle. I will be taking the "pie" out of all my future batches because of Skinny's product. No overly sweet syrupy stuff. Just smooth goodness with a little sweet...

Thinking about Strawberry, Grape or whatever I can find on the shelf that sounds good

Comment

that looks good, I will have to try and make some of the peach.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

used skinny's basic recipe and made 3 qts of peach yesterday.

1 bottle grape peach juice
                          1 big can of peach halves in heavy syrup
                          2 sticks of cinnamon
                          1/2 cup of white sugar
                          1/2 cup brown sugar.

tasted great after getting everything in the jar and i assume it will only get better after a few weeks.
                          running the numbers through a proofing calculator put it at about 40% or 80 proof.

for reference-250ml of 190 proof alcohol in a quart jar topped off with anything non alcoholic will give you about 40% or 80 proof.

Comment

Tagged. Making a batch this weekend

Comment

Good recipe, but home made isn't mixing ever clear with some ingredients..... home made is making shine from a still....

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                                home made is making shine from a still
                                At least made at home

Comment

Working...
                                X