Anyone here ever shot for the IBO World Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here ever shot for the IBO World Title

Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried for a Trad World Title? Or if anyone has ever attended the tourny? I'm interested in learning what it takes besides being a great shot to auctually make a run for the title. An example would be what arrows or arrow dia is perfered, is having a long 60+ inch bow a must have, etc. For instance I shoot Victory Vap arrows and love them but they are also very small Dia arrows and I could see in a tight race that they might give up a few points not cutting the line etc. I see compound shooters using very large "Fat Boy" shafts etc, is that something that the trad world also uses at the highest levels? Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any expeience and wanted to hear some info on it all. I work weekends and have Mon-Fri off so I considered trying to focus on maybe going next year and giving it a shot. I don't know how well I would do but it would be fun to try and I know learning fine details in the beginning saves headaches later on. Thanks for any info.

Yes, a bunch of us. TBHer Gap Shooter won the title in the selfbow class. TBHer Skunklady won for the women. Caleb Ballard Won this year. A bunch of us Texans came in the top 10. Bisch, me. Deb. I don't remember them all, but we did pretty good.

Comment

This shoot is a blast. Check out IBO Trad World 2011 & 2012. You will find results & rules posted there. If you can shoot a fatter arrow I'd do it. My arrows are teeny tiny and it cost me some points for sure. Just for grins, do a search on here for IBO World Championship for posts and pics from when we went. I think there were about 20 of us in 2011.
      Last edited by Deb; 09-20-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Well, It's good to know you folks have a lot of experience and even some winners. I would love to shoot with some of you guys one day and see if I can even hold my own. That any learn as much info as I could. I took Rick Welch's class a few months back and by the end of the first day I was shooting lights out. Since then I have been using his technique and doing pretty well.

Comment

We have an annual shoot here. Check out the Weaver Invitational thread on here. Come join us. Some of the folks who went to World will be here.

Comment

I hope to attend more of the trad shoots this coming spring. I was able to get off for the Chester shoot and it was a lot of fun. I ordered a new Bob Lee Ultimate and they auctually brought it to the Chester shoot for me. I ended up finishing in I think 10th place the first day I had the bow, That helped boost my confidence now after attending Ricks course I am a lot better than I was.

Comment

The IBO shoot is a blast. I have been the last two years and plan on going again next year. Your equipment does not matter. You just need to be able to put an arrow in the spot you are looking to do well. If you shoot carbon arrows, be prepared for long shots all weekend. It is a tough setup, but it should be because it is a "world Champoinship".

Bisch

Comment

Excellent, I practice out to 50 or so yds at home.

Comment

Max distance in the carbon classes is 30yds (+10%, so 33yds). If you make the top ten after the first two days you get to shoot on the last day. 90% of the shots will be 25yds or longer.

Scorewise, you need to be able to average about 8.5pts per target to have a chance. The scoring is 11,10,8,5,0.

Bisch

Comment

Sounds good. If nothing else it might push me to get better.

Comment

It is a blast even if you cannot win. They have 2 competitions in the same weekend:

1) The Hunter Challenge is a 25 target course and usually a really good setup with awards for the top 2 in each class.

2) The IBO World Championship 20 targets Friday, 20 targets Sat, and (if you make the top 10) 20 targets Sun. Three different courses. You never shoot the same target twice.

Tied to the Hunter Challenge is the 3Rivers Shootdown on Sat night. They take the top 32 scores from the Hunter Challenge and have a single elimination bracket (5 targets per round). Last man standing wins.

Then there is the Team Shoot. They take all the ladies and make them team captains. The ladies than draw mens names out of a hat to make up their teams. The teams than shoot against each other until there is only one team left as the champion.

They also have a long distance shoot and a dot shoot that are like novelty shoots. There is enough there to keep you very busy and worn out all weekend!

I guess you can tell I had a great time up there, huh?

Bisch
                      Last edited by Bisch; 09-20-2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Wow, I will make sure and take some vacation and go this year! Very very cool stuff indeed!

Comment

Yep, great fun, and lots of super shooters. You should try to make it. Once you attend you won't want to miss it. It is amazing to watch some of those archers shoot! Come join us!

Comment

I have shot the original IBO World Money shoot 5 times but not the Traditional Worlds. Either way I always had a blast but a totally different environment and atmosphere.

Comment

Well Terry same people shoot both. If the target distance is the same I am sure the scores are about the same. I would like to attend the other shoot also but if I have to qualify I will probably be out even though I ended up 8th in 2012 at the IBO all Trad. It is a must if you can make it happen. Arvin

Comment

Working...
                              X