Moving my Grandfather’s old brick BBQ pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving my Grandfather’s old brick BBQ pit

JES inspired me with his old Czech style brick BBQ pit post. Got me to thinking about my childhood memories of my grandfather cooking on his when I was a kid and how good the BBQ was after being slow-cooked all day. I drove out to the family farm (grandparents have been gone for years now) and took a look at the old pit. Memories came flooding back and I knew what I had to do. Called my mom who said that they were about to tear it down to build a sitting area there and I told her that I wanted it. Spoke to my brother and we are going to attempt to move it in one piece (or the least amount of pieces possible) and bring it back to life at my house. I haven’t checked yet, but I do not think it has a slab.

We have a few ideas of how to make the move, but any suggestions are welcome.

In the pic, there are a bunch of bricks stacked next to it, but the pit structure is 26”x39”. We shall see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching this for sure.... Let us see how it is done..

Comment

Cool idea [emoji1303]

Comment

That's what I'm talking about. You will think of him and your time together every time you walk out to that pit.

Comment

That’s cool! Hopefully it goes well

Comment

Dude.....that’s awesome!! Good luck to you guys!!

Comment

Great idea, no suggestions on how to move it but I bet yall can come up with a good plan. Following to see how the move goes.

Comment

I'd take pictures of it and if you can't move it in one piece, then it would be OK to take apart and reassemble it in the new sight.

Comment

I was going tome a nice old pit lined with fire brick , about 3 x 6
                  on a 6inch contrete slab . I dug down under the slab , got a jack under it
                  started to raise it up and the slab broke right in the middle , no
                  steel in the slab

Comment

Rebuild it if you have to using the same blocks. It'll be worth it in memories.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
                      Rebuild it if you have to using the same blocks. It'll be worth it in memories.
                      Agree 100%

Comment

Very cool. My grandpas old finder block pit is still standing. Hasn’t been used in probably 20 or more years. Makes me want to move it to my house. I swear he made better bbq on that than I ever could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would,do what “Barnwood Builders” on DIY Network do. Number each piece and lots of pictures to assist with rebuilding that pit.

Comment

Brings back a lot of memories for me; My grandfather used a pit almost exactly like this one. This is a great ideal! Hope it goes good. Worst case you will have to re-assemble on you place. Good luck!

Comment

Do you think you should maybe number the bricks with chalk, take a picture of it and then start? It looks like the bricks are not attached and most likely will separate when moved.

Comment

Working...
                              X