Select Baseball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Select Baseball 2018

Well with spring tryouts in full swing thought I would just start another select baseball thread. I will be moving to a new organization this spring, and coaching the 12U Crew team at SSK1 baseball academy. Our tryouts will be Jan 6th at the Scrapyard in the Woodlands.

Good luck! I've enjoyed watching these threads.

Comment

Good luck Grant- my kid is changing organizations during Summer and actually going to interview staff next week about Summer. I'm gonna miss watching baseball when it happens and his baseball playing days are done

Comment

My son is also on a new team for the spring. Should be a great time with new opportunities

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
          Well with spring tryouts in full swing thought I would just start another select baseball thread. I will be moving to a new organization this spring, and coaching the 12U Crew team at SSK1 baseball academy. Our tryouts will be Jan 6th at the Scrapyard in the Woodlands.
          Thanks for starting a new thread! Sure enjoyed the last thread. SSK1 sure seems to have a great program. My boy played with a few kids from that 12u group when they were 9. Great kids, players, and families!

Comment

I followed the last one but didn’t contribute, we are just getting started in 10u and the whole team is new to select. I’m am coaching the team for now and really excited to see how they develop.

Comment

AKirk- Get ready and bless you. I hate parents. Soon do yourself a favor and find a team with coach without a player. Cuts down on the crazy mom stuff

Comment

Goto YouTube. Look up crazy baseball mom

Comment

My older son is about to start his last season of "youth" ball, 14U, then next year will be high school tryouts and summer/showcase ball. He is a pitcher/1B/Power bat. I am worried about high school tryouts but his current coach is telling me that pitching velocity alone will get him on the high school team. Would love to hear from some that have been there and done that with high school tryouts. What does freshman pitching look like? Is velocity that important to high school coaches? He has enough command to be effective (most of the time). Can a kid make the team with one tool, say a big bat or a big arm? We are talking 6A high school with a decent program.

Comment

TxJim- my kid goes to a baseball school and is a one trick pony. RHP. He made it with a wild arm as a freshman. He just turned 15 and will be fine through HS. They look at up side on incoming freshman class. If he has a live arm he will be fine. My kid doesn't even have a bat anymore or play a position

Comment

My son is a freshman this year. He will play on Varsity as a catcher and pitcher. Not at a 6A school but a big 3A. From being a high school coach in the past, I can tell you that your son needs to be as flexible as possible. They always need pitching but if he can play multiple spots, he will be more valuable.

His summer team is with Dbat. My two younger boys play on local Nacogdoches tournament teams that I coach or help coach. My advice to anyone getting into tournament ball is to try not to get to wrapped up in it. Give the kids time off in the fall and winter. When they get older it’s real easy to burn them out.
                      Last edited by Triple 7; 12-08-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't say he is flexible in the sense that he can play multiple positions. He is a big kid that throws hard and hits the ball a long way. He is very servicable at 1st base but defense is his weakest point. I am curious what a "live arm" would be for a freshman. What kind of velocity are you seeing at that level?

Comment

If he can throw mid to high 70’s he would be considered good. Anything higher would be real good.

Comment

I saw a kid get a college scholarship after walking 3 batters and hitting two more. The scouts were buzzing because he could throw 98. They can coach mechanics but can’t coach velocity in most cases

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                              If he can throw mid to high 70’s he would be considered good. Anything higher would be real good.
                              Thanks, that is the kind of info I was looking for

Comment

Working...
                              X