No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm finally back home after 14 days. Just got back last night looking forward to catching the tail end of rut and trying to make a connection Friday. It'll be nice to have all the oilfield time off to hunt again

Comment

They still be chase-n and harass-n.
      Didn't see a single deer all day.

But did see two of them. And they weren't single. They were together.
      2.5 yoa buck antagonizing a fawn doe. He should get someone his own age.
      Didn't see them till 5:39 this evening. And could barely make out his rack due to the darkness of the woods I was in. But his posture and the actions told me he was a buck before he got close enough to confirm. He did stop and grab a couple bites of corn at 20. The doe took that opportunity to "Exit, stage left", for those old enough to remember that line.

Missed an opportunity for a turkey too. Was headed back to the truck for lunch, fully packed. And didn't have my glasses on. I just happen to look up and there are 4 hens in front of me at 20 yards. and we're both in the wide open . I couldn't remember if the county was "bearded hen" or just "either sex". So I didn't load and shoot. And they didn't want to wait for me to go to the truck and look it up, then head back to shoot one of-em. So they ducked behind a cedar, and did a "Who-deeny". I thought it was kinda rude how they acted. Didn't even say good by.

Comment

First time out.

Well, I am going to try to make it out to H2 Sunday morning, by boat. It will be my first time out, and not really planning on getting anything, haven't done any scouting, but will have my xbow, just in case. I did buy me a Diamond Deploy, but just plan on practicing this year, with my daughter. Santa is getting her an Apprentice. I hope to just get the hang of things, and enjoy "my time" in the woods. I hope to get my daughter out there, in a few years, once she gets enough draw weight to take down a deer. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears, I'm pretty green...really would just like to get a pig sometime this hunting year.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

Didn't see them till 5:39 this evening. And could barely make out his rack due to the darkness of the woods I was in. But his posture and the actions told me he was a buck before he got close enough to confirm. He did stop and grab a couple bites of corn at 20. The doe took that opportunity to "Exit, stage left", for those old enough to remember that line.

Missed an opportunity for a turkey too. Was headed back to the truck for lunch, fully packed. And didn't have my glasses on. I just happen to look up and there are 4 hens in front of me at 20 yards. and we're both in the wide open . I couldn't remember if the county was "bearded hen" or just "either sex". So I didn't load and shoot. And they didn't want to wait for me to go to the truck and look it up, then head back to shoot one of-em. So they ducked behind a cedar, and did a "Who-deeny". I thought it was kinda rude how they acted. Didn't even say good by.
          Sounds like a good outing to me. Always nice seeing critters

Comment

Originally posted by SlabHappy View Post
            Well, I am going to try to make it out to H2 Sunday morning, by boat. It will be my first time out, and not really planning on getting anything, haven't done any scouting, but will have my xbow, just in case. I did buy me a Diamond Deploy, but just plan on practicing this year, with my daughter. Santa is getting her an Apprentice. I hope to just get the hang of things, and enjoy "my time" in the woods. I hope to get my daughter out there, in a few years, once she gets enough draw weight to take down a deer. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears, I'm pretty green...really would just like to get a pig sometime this hunting year.
            Glad to have you Slab Happy even if you don't get one its great being in God's country.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

But you know all the good spots and only saw a few? HAPPY THANKSGIVING TG!

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving guys an gals

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                  But you know all the good spots and only saw a few? HAPPY THANKSGIVING TG!
                  Yep. I was kinda surprised. Guess they hadn't heard I was back in town. The turkeys did come out to meet me though. But didn't want my autograph (SMH). Guess I'll have to work a little on "Public" Relations in the critter dept again.

Happy Thanks Giving to all!

Comment

No hunting for me this weekend I have smoker duty tonight, my daughter's engagement party Saturday then catch up.on my sleep. To everyone hunting these next 3 days good luck.
                    And to kennyb congratulations on your 1st doe!

Comment

It is raining and I am late.
                      Anyway ,I am waiting

Comment

Quit raining at my spot. Just foggy and cool. No movement yet

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                          Quit raining at my spot. Just foggy and cool. No movement yet
                          Get you a good one justin. FYI there is a bigger buck cursing the area I shot mine that was in the afternoon.

Comment

There r rumors of a nicee 11 pt running around this section. Raining good again.

Comment

I waited about 30 minutes and checked the radar again it shows a lot more coming and I don't feel up to sitting through it again. I decided to come home and try another day. But for those staying I did see several deer on the way home so they are moving, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by chino View Post
                                It is raining and I am late.
                                Anyway ,I am waiting
                                Get ya one brother!

Comment

Working...
                                X