Tony Houseman WMA /blue elbow swampA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that dear season is over, I'm looking for a place a little closer to Orange to bowhunt for hogs. Has anybody been in there the last couple of years? If so what are the best access points to dry land (I have waiters, boat and pirogue) and the best means for hunting the swamp?

Been awhile, but there is part that is accessible from the road. You can find it in the public hunting book.

Comment

Yeah I know About the roads but they are over ran with people mudding. I am more looking for places to access from the rivers

Comment

Yes Stay off the roads if possible, not only kids out there mudding but lot of thugs on drugs hang out around there.

However you get in there be careful, there are some huge mean old hogs in there!

Comment

I hunted it in the fall of 2012 and posted a thread about it, with some good comments from others. I parked under I-10 and paddled in. Tons of broken window glass under I-10(we left our truck unlocked with windows down to avoid being a victim). We also bumped into an unoccupied meth camp from the land portion. The biologist told us the higher the water the better, as it concentrates the hogs on high ground. Here is link to my old thread

Comment

Last edited by Italianxbowuser; 02-01-2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I hunted it this past Saturday, I saw a lot of fresh sign but no hogs. I didn't get to far from the water though.

Comment

Anyone ever hunt coyotes in blue elbow?

I recently contacted tpwd and was informed that night hunting for coyotes is permitted in blue elbow swamp and was wondering if anyone here had any info that might prove useful. I also have hog hunted here a few times from pine bluff road. Sand ridge is full of hog signs but I have yet to see one. A few weeks ago I heard something big moving through the palmettos but I must have scared it walking in and whatever it was took off through the brush.

Comment

Originally posted by nokturnal85 View Post
                  I recently contacted tpwd and was informed that night hunting for coyotes is permitted in blue elbow swamp and was wondering if anyone here had any info that might prove useful. I also have hog hunted here a few times from pine bluff road. Sand ridge is full of hog signs but I have yet to see one. A few weeks ago I heard something big moving through the palmettos but I must have scared it walking in and whatever it was took off through the brush.
                  Are you from the Orange area? Most wouldn't leave their vehicle on Pine Bluff road especially at night!

Comment

I'm from port neches. I figured pine bluff area to be on the rough side from discarded paraphernalia I found along the public hunt road walking in. I've got an alarm system and primarily focus on the pipeline right of ways at night. Maybe I'm a little to brave...

Comment

Made an attempt Friday night.

Tried to hunt Friday night and to my dismay pine bluff road was completely underwater. I drove as far in as I could but once the water was over the side steps of my pickup I decided it was best to leave. Is flooding like that common on pine bluff?

Comment

Anybody been in blue elbow lately?

Comment

Yup

I went squirrel hunting back in February. If your after hogs check out the area north of pine bluff rd where the creek crosses. Hunt along the creek bank along the cypress trees and you'll find them. If your feeling adventurous take the gravel road to the south that runs along the creek and hunt sand ridge near the pipeline right of way. Only problem you'll encounter there is dragging out your game as the briars tend to be on the thick side there.

Comment

also...

Don't try hunting at night as I found out from the game warden that blue elbow is daylight hours only even for predator hunting... kind of ridiculous if you ask me but I digress... just don't do it. lol

Comment

Working...
                            X