Deer Ecology 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
    I don't see an option to download the articles as PDfs. Do you have to be a member/logged in for that?

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    I would have about as much chance doing that as killing a 200" buck

I'd have to go back and download them to remember how exactly but I 'be downloaded and saved every one of them that I thought would be of interest to me. I'm pretty sure you just click on a tab toward the top right side of the page and select how you'd like to download it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys for all the participation and addition on this thread! So, back on track of new info...

Going into this time of year is as important as almost any other time of the year. It is now that bucks need to still be in as good of physical shape as possible before they drop their antlers. Their body will maintain itself and "rebuild" before expending energy and minerals into their antlers. So, if they are in better shape now (better sex ratio for breeding, feed and habitat) they can start and maximize antler production faster.

While on that note, most bucks have about a 150 day antler growing period. So, for easy math, a 150" deer has to grow at least an inch of antler per day, every day.

Same goes for the does. By now, most should have a fetus that is pretty good sized and they are starting to "eat for two" more often. They need to be in great shape as well to be able to have good birthing weights and to be able to take care of their fawns better. Sickness and health issues at this point can be devastating to fawn survival.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
        Thanks guys for all the participation and addition on this thread! So, back on track of new info...

Going into this time of year is as important as almost any other time of the year. It is now that bucks need to still be in as good of physical shape as possible before they drop their antlers. Their body will maintain itself and "rebuild" before expending energy and minerals into their antlers. So, if they are in better shape now (better sex ratio for breeding, feed and habitat) they can start and maximize antler production faster.

While on that note, most bucks have about a 150 day antler growing period. So, for easy math, a 150" deer has to grow at least an inch of antler per day, every day.

Same goes for the does. By now, most should have a fetus that is pretty good sized and they are starting to "eat for two" more often. They need to be in great shape as well to be able to have good birthing weights and to be able to take care of their fawns better. Sickness and health issues at this point can be devastating to fawn survival.

What is the approximate time between horn growth completion and rubbing out of velvet?

Comment

From the time antlers are "done" growing to shedding the velvet really all depends on the particular buck. Typically I would say 1-2 weeks. You may or may not have seen when velvet starts to dry up and takes on a "less fuzzy" look and can become a little darker. That's when they typically start to peel out....

Comment

Do y'all have any recommendations on supplemental protein?

Comment

Originally posted by Bdiver View Post
              Do y'all have any recommendations on supplemental protein?
              I would first ask what your objective is. Keep deer around or increase antler size?

If it's keeping deer around , great, supplement can help.

If it's grow bigger deer, then I'd ask what your situation is. Reason is, in order for you to realize benefits of feed, bucks still need to reach 6+ yrs. If that's unlikely in your situation where you historically dont have bucks of that age, then it becomes an investment of time, effort, and money that has low probability for return.

IMHO, about any reputable feed will work. No reason to feed more than 20% protein. I used to feed Purina and Moormans. Both worked well.

Comment

True! If at least half of your neighbors aren't being selective with what they shoot, it will be an effort of futility. But! feeding would still help the resident does which would help fawn health, I would think.

Comment

I only have 20 acres. About 60 acres to the west are heavily wooded with a couple houses being built on 10 acres tracts. That didn't seem to slow the deer down to much. There are several hundred acres of mixed woods and cow pasture connected to the northeast as well. To the best of my knowledge the only thing being put out is corn and not much by my land at all. I have tons of red and white oaks and a couple dried creek bottoms and right where I'm at seems to be a great natural funnel. I'd like to manage the herd as much as possible. I don't think there are that many folks around my land that hunt much and if they do, it's probably just from the. Ack porch. I doubt there are any food plots so hopefully I can create quite the deer haven.

Comment

Tuned in!! Great thread & thanks for the info

Comment

Yes! Yes it is.

Comment

Which ecoregion of Texas is most favorable for deer based upon natural vegetation?
                        Last edited by Doe Doe Spike; 02-04-2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Gotta be SETx, with as much turnover there is in the lumber industry, there is always food available. However one of our resident biologist probably have actual hard data on it.

Comment

Great thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since deer food (weeds and browse)is dependent on rainfall and the number of different quality plants, then portions of eastern TX, depending on soils, would be hard to beat, not including areas of heavy dominant pine.

Comment

So 100 acres in East Texas could hold a higher deer density than 100 acres in South Texas or 100 acres in the hill country. (Excluding factors like hunting pressure, supplemental food, livestock , hogs)

Comment

Working...
                                X