Euro in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
    Is in the container at the house.... water and rid x mixture with 2 aquarium heaters and a heat lamp.

I checked it before i headed out yesterday. Had a little bit of meat on it still. The hide and bottom jaw have come off. Just some fleshy stuff around the mouth left.... And the horns have yet to budge.

I may be throwing it in the trash bag soon to see if i can get the horns to move... I think the water is swelling the bone abit not allowing for the horns to come off... I put on a pair of gloves and gave her the ole college try friday... But no movement. Forgot how yummy it smelt till it was in my hands.

Any suggestions?
    No help here but can't wait to see him finished

Yes I bet the bones are more swollen with moisture content. I wonder if once it dries it will come out

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtechlady View Post
      Here is number 2

[ATTACH]475709[/ATTACH]

This one was the easier of the two because I had added the aquarium heater at this point. It was ready pretty quickly. I am pleased with final product
      That looks great! Hopefully once i get this BB all figured out mine will be that white and purty.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Most of the meat is off the bone now... but I still cant get the horns to budge... maybe a 1/4" but not off.

I tried when it was all wet... Then I tried after it was dried... NADA

Anymore advice? gotta get these things off so I can move forward with it.

Thanks

Comment

Most of the meat is off the bone now... but I still cant get the horns to budge... maybe a 1/4" but not off.

I tried when it was all wet... Then I tried after it was dried... NADA

Anymore advice? gotta get these things off so I can move forward with it.

Thanks
            Why u taking the horns off?

Comment

Originally posted by RAGUIRREJR View Post
              Why u taking the horns off?
              If you don't remove the horns and clean the I side it will get pretty ripe.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                If you don't remove the horns and clean the I side it will get pretty ripe.
                Inside of the horns? I've never heard that before. Is this just for BB?

Comment

Black buck, sheep, etc...

Comment

I think this is pretty much all animals with horns and not antlers. Right?

Comment

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that

Comment

Well some time has passed so I will admit to being a hothead.

After getting a bunch of help and advice on the blackbuck euro from great TBH'ers I failed miserably. I tried everything and finally got one horn off. It took some excessive force and a pair of channel locks... But it did come off.

The other wouldn't budge... I left it out in the sun to dry, put it in a black bag, tried to oil it up... Nothing was working... I took a hacksaw blade to the base I thought was catching a tad... Still nada. This went on for weeks. Seriously... Weeks.

I finally went to my last resort.... Rubber mallet to free it up... A few taps nada, harder, nada, harder and crack... ****it I broke the nose. It was probably fixable with some diligent gluing... But the horn was still stuck... I had other projects piling up because I got consumed with this black buck.... And I lost it.. Knowing I had failed... Knowing I tried so hard, and spent this much time with it... With each thought I grew madder.

I started to think of all the other projects that were setting back burner waiting for me to finish this one... I thought well it's either coming off or I'm destroying it. As my patience had worn out. A few more pretty good hits with the mallet and the nose came all the way off. Pedestal around the horn was cracking... I lost it.

Screw it. I walk to the nearest tree hold the one remaining, unmovable, god glued on horn, reached back and gave her one good home run swing into the tree... Parts everywhere... I'm talking lil pieces...

I look in the horn I'm still holding and find the pedestal broke off 1" in and the bone is still in it... Still didn't freaking budge!!! Lol. Oh well. Next time I will know to leave that already dead black buck on the ground and just snap a pic for memory sake.

Lol. Maybe someday I will actually get to shoot an exotic and when that day comes I'm taking it to bro sigs in midland and getting an impressive shoulder mount!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry I don't have success pics! I will bleach my deer skull (a project the bb was holding up) soon and post it up here.

Comment

Well some time has passed so I will admit to being a hothead.

After getting a bunch of help and advice on the blackbuck euro from great TBH'ers I failed miserably. I tried everything and finally got one horn off. It took some excessive force and a pair of channel locks... But it did come off.

The other wouldn't budge... I left it out in the sun to dry, put it in a black bag, tried to oil it up... Nothing was working... I took a hacksaw blade to the base I thought was catching a tad... Still nada. This went on for weeks. Seriously... Weeks.

I finally went to my last resort.... Rubber mallet to free it up... A few taps nada, harder, nada, harder and crack... ****it I broke the nose. It was probably fixable with some diligent gluing... But the horn was still stuck... I had other projects piling up because I got consumed with this black buck.... And I lost it.. Knowing I had failed... Knowing I tried so hard, and spent this much time with it... With each thought I grew madder.

I started to think of all the other projects that were setting back burner waiting for me to finish this one... I thought well it's either coming off or I'm destroying it. As my patience had worn out. A few more pretty good hits with the mallet and the nose came all the way off. Pedestal around the horn was cracking... I lost it.

Screw it. I walk to the nearest tree hold the one remaining, unmovable, god glued on horn, reached back and gave her one good home run swing into the tree... Parts everywhere... I'm talking lil pieces...

I look in the horn I'm still holding and find the pedestal broke off 1" in and the bone is still in it... Still didn't freaking budge!!! Lol. Oh well. Next time I will know to leave that already dead black buck on the ground and just snap a pic for memory sake.

Lol. Maybe someday I will actually get to shoot an exotic and when that day comes I'm taking it to bro sigs in midland and getting an impressive shoulder mount!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry I don't have success pics! I will bleach my deer skull (a project the bb was holding up) soon and post it up here.
                          Sorry it ended that way but you educated me and everyone else on them. I had no idea you had to go through all that! We all feel your frustration. I will stick to WT and axis or sikas. You gave it a great try but would like to know how a professional would have done differently. Is this common with a BB? How on earth would you avoid it?

Comment

Wow I've always soaked them in water for a few days and just gave em a good twist and they have always just broke free. Some harder than others but never had one not come off.

Comment

I did the same steps as Ca$ey, soaked the skull in water, and few days later, you can get the horns off. The disadvantage is that the horns are stink. Took me more time and efforts to get rid of that smell. But you can still smell it from very close. Someone knows how to clean the horns after they come off?

Here is how it looks like (a small blackbuck from one friend's ranch).
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by cy100; 06-12-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I am very glad to find this thread. Got some new ideas to improve my method. I didn't use Rid-x before, just pure water. So it takes various length of time to complete, may depend on the temperature I guess. Next time, I will add some rid-x, hope it will speed up the process.

I would add two more steps to this procedure (I didn't read every past replies, so excuse me if they are redundant).

A) I would use all-purpose glue to bind loosen teeth and/or bones. All-purpose glue will be invisible after dry.
                                B) After the mount is full dry, I would pray a light coat by dull or semi-glossy clear finish. This will give a protection and easy to clean.

I accidentally picked this skull from a wild place, and made my first Euro mount.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X