No announcement yet.

Discuss...45lc barrel threaded 6" then opens to 28 gauge for remainder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a couple of other things I looked at in my research with why I specifically bought what I did:
    A empty and fired .357 round can be shot backwards out of a 410 shell that you have removed the shot and powder from. This is no different than what they shoot as a primered plastic bullet. It will shock and stun and sometimes kill rats on the spot. This is good for using inside of a barn without alot of risk in blowing holes or a bunch of shot ricocheting. I actually made some FOC darts to do this. Same principal as a blow dart being FOC.
    Second, there is some information out there about loading .444 casing up and shooting a bigger shot charges out of better quality guns. It was cautioned against using the Comanche and now that I have it in hand, I definitely agree..... not a wise idea.

Comment

Thanks K-bar. Interesting. Yes, I have read on the .444, as well as I have fireformed and trimmed a few 303 british as brass 410 loads. 444 are the better option but the 303s do work.

I always thought if someone could come up with a 45-70 shot load that combatted the rifling issue that they would really be on to something....

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I actually lube the shot with 45% Lee Liquid Alox, 45% Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% Mineral Spirits "Recluse" mixture from the castboolit forum. It makes a very thin waxy coating that seems to help the shot stick together or maybe act as a lube that makes the outside of the shot column act as a ball bearing keeping the interior column of shot from rotating. I honestly have no idea which. I will say though, after doing that step, my patterns improved tremendously. Night and day difference in size and uniformity. You could tell when shooting a revolver which one was which just by the drastic difference in the pattern. And yes I have tried waxed buckshot loads. Didn't really work, but this for some reason works well with the 45lc homemade rat shot loads.

Comment

I also tried to talk with Bond Arms to see if they could do a long drilling barrel and do a .233 over .410. Would have been a neat little rig. Something like this.
          Attached Files

Comment

Look up barrel liners. They have lots of options for 223 over 12/20. 410 barrel liner would be too thin. Imo there is a problem with cup pressure doing 45 colt over a 12 gauge with a liner. Most shotguns are rated 11000-12000 cup. 45 colt loads can go up from 28000. Imo lockup on a shotgun may not hold or barrel welds may not hold. I have not seen any info on how well the barrel liner conversion kits actually hold position in the the barrel.Worth the reseaching.

Comment

Yep closest thing is the m6 survival....22 hornet over 410. There's 3030 over 12 and 20 and other combos.

Comment

Look up Valmet 412. I'd much rather have one of those any day over a Savage 24. You can get multiple barrel sets in rifle and shotgun, and in combos, for the same gun. Wide range of both rifle calibers and shotgun gauges, and the combo of each.

Comment

Looked up velmet. Looks neat. However can't leave ammo in the gun without it being cocked.

Comment

H&R makes a 45/410 shotgun barrel.

Comment

Yes but any chamber that accepts 410 typically hurts 45 accuracy. There's a lot of 45/410 guns out there. All with the same inherent flaw.

Comment

More food for thought....

More food for thought.

Hastings makes a straight rifled shotgun barrel to stop the wad and shot column for spinning. Seems to show that it works, but its a lot of work for very little benefit in traditional shotgun as the wad typically spins very little.

That being said...it might have more benefit in this type of application...

Comment

I have done a lot of playing with shot cartridges out of pistols and can tell you that if you get good patterns out of your Ruger then you're lucky. The very next one might not do well at all, even another Ruger. There seems to be no rhyme or reason which will do well. I have a S&W model 36 with a 2" barrel that shoots the Speer shot caps with great patterns but my model 66 with 4" barrel doesn't perform at all. My very old Ruger Blackhawk with the 6 1/2" barrel shoots them well as well.

My Contender has the old .45 LC barrel on it with the straight tube on the end that is supposed to take the spin out. I don't know if it does but it does shoot .410s with great patterns and I have killed cotton tails past 25 yards with it many times.

Comment

I’d probably just buy the Savage .22 mag over .410 and be done with it. It doesn’t have the power of a .223 obviously, but for varmints it should do the job.

I think the only solution that will be reasonably affordable is finding an over/under or side by side shotgun with double triggers and using a rifle/pistol cartridge insert in one of the barrels.

They make inserts up to 18” long for $150. There are no .223 options due to pressures, but you can go to .22 hornet in a .410, .30-30 in a 20 gauge, and .45 LC, .45-70, or 7.62x39 in a 12 gauge.

For under $600, you could have the complete setup brand new with no gunsmithing.

The other option is a lever gun in .44 mag or .45 LC with a CCI shot shell in the chamber and regular ammunition in the magazine. Just point and pull the trigger to blast a snake, or rack the lever first to shoot a coyote or hog.
                            Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 02-18-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Definitely thought about the SxS option and a barrel adapter. Would make it permanent to minimize drift over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X