Any garage door guys on TBH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any garage door guys on TBH?

well the hits keep coming. This morning the cable popped on my garage door and since it’s the old style springs it’s pretty much the same to replace.

Anyone on here do garage doors? I’m in South Fort Worth (20 and Trail Lake)

Only thing I know about garage doors is...

These, suck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	24427576

Comment

Those must be from Overhead Garage Door then

they just came out and told me parts to fix it would be $400-500 and a new door installed is $550. Went to Lowes and showed them pictures and they told me it was a $20 spring and cable set

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        Those must be from Overhead Garage Door then

they just came out and told me parts to fix it would be $400-500 and a new door installed is $550. Went to Lowes and showed them pictures and they told me it was a $20 spring and cable set
        Yeah, I leave the garage door repairs to the garage door repair people....had a neighbor almost lose an arm trying to replace a broken spring....those things are dangerous. Good luck!!

Comment

Too bad im down here in san antonio i could help.
          is it TORSION SPRING (ABOVE THE DOOR) OR EXPANSION (TWO SPRINGS ON EA. SIDE)
          Last edited by 2BigMethod; 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
            Too bad im down here in san antonio i could help.
            is it TORSION SPRING (ABOVE THE DOOR) OR EXPANSION (TWO SPRINGS ON EA. SIDE)
            Bingo. Two different systems, but a little knowledge and elbow grease will fix either. If you're being told that $20 would do it..... I'm starting there.

Comment

Expansion spring, there is a spring with a braided line on both sides. One of the braided lines busted

Comment

Hit up foizmonster on here....he does garage doors if I remember right

Comment

You can fix it yourself......buy new cable at Lowes or wherever......lift door to full open position, place vice grips below bottom rollers to hold door up while you're working on it. Springs will be relaxed when door is in open position. Look at cable on side that's not broken, attach new cable. You can unhook the side that's not broken to tell how much tension is on that spring, hook new cable up with approximate same tension....adjust accordingly.
                  Just be sure door is in full open position before messing with extension springs.

Comment

Tyge on here has a garage door business

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Shipp View Post
                      You can fix it yourself......buy new cable at Lowes or wherever......lift door to full open position, place vice grips below bottom rollers to hold door up while you're working on it. Springs will be relaxed when door is in open position. Look at cable on side that's not broken, attach new cable. You can unhook the side that's not broken to tell how much tension is on that spring, hook new cable up with approximate same tension....adjust accordingly.
                      Just be sure door is in full open position before messing with extension springs.
                      Thanks, after looking at some youtube stuff I think you’re right doesn’t seem that hard.

If anyone ever calls a garage door company don’t call Over Head Garage Door they’ll try to hustle ya. He told me that the springs and cables aren’t made any more. I just got back from Lowes where I had the choice of 4 brands

Comment

No help here but when my old door broke that cable I called Bruce's garage door in watauga it was about 100 bucks if I remember. Wish I could help I owe you.

Good luck

Comment

Craig Cox, fort worth fireman, don't have his number but can get it if you need it.

Comment

Working...
                          X