The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tommyp View Post
    don't forget that tomorrow is the deadline for Wyoming non-resident applications.. unless you are just applting for a preference point (that will be in late summer)
    Thanks Tommyp, I'm just buying points this year. Boring and expensive, thank goodness for OTC.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
      Alright, I'm on this wagon now.
      I just bought a 5 day horseback hunt in SE Idaho at the RMEF banquet.

I've been itching to get back in the mountains. I guess I need to ramp up my getting back in shape now.
      Congratulations! When is the hunt? Just curious at the ammout of time you have to prep for the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        My buddy's spotting scope pics say different! Ha ha ha
        I know. Have been watching 2 big herds for the past couple months. Hopefully the wolves don't mess it up so I can find some sheds.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Congratulations! When is the hunt? Just curious at the ammout of time you have to prep for the trip.
          I waiting on the outfitter to e-mail me his open dates. It looks like it will be the latter part of September during the bugling season.

It will be archery.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Marsh are you going solo for your first elk hunt in the back country?

If so that is extreme hard core....especially for a first timer. You can certainly tell me to mind my own business .... but try to get a partner to go with you.

First of all calling in an elk solo is very hard to do. I've done it but it was a lucky deal. Its way easier to kill an elk when a buddy is calling behind you. Its amazing how they hone in on exactly where the sound is coming from. If they don't see an elk where they think it should be....they are gone. At minimum bring a Montana Elk decoy with you if you go solo.

Second is packing out the animal.....very important have a packer lined up if you get something....call ahead. One man making multiple trips to pack an elk out many miles is next to impossible. At a minimum alot of meat would be spoiled just from the time and trips it takes to pack that elk out. It would take one man 4-6 trips to pack a whole elk out.

Lastly having a partner involved makes the mental aspect of the hunt so much better.
            There was a guy on TBH last year that attempted a solo mule deer hunt in Colorado in the back country and after only a couple days he quit and came home. Weather and bad luck made him question his decision.

Just some things to ponder as you plan your hunt. Like I said....you can tell me to buzz off anytime.....I won't be offended.
            I won't tell you to buzz off at all. I appreciate the criticism, and if something happens, at least you will get a good "I told you so." This is really a quest that I'm on, and I'm a month into training. I know it will be tough, but it is something that I have to do. Everything will be more apparent when I get back and I do a write up over my experience. I'm gonna do the best that I can come hell or high water, and from what I have gathered from everyone, those two things may actually come to fruition on the hunt. Taking an elk is just a bonus for me, which I know will be incredibly difficult as it anyway both as a flatlander and a newbie. I will do my best. I wish I had someone to go with, but the reality is that when you have small kids like I do, friends seem to be fewer and far between, at least with my family. I really don't have anyone that is willing to come out with me, so I will make it one way or another. If I wait on someone, I may never get to go. I prefer just going and figure out what I need to do along the way. I will be prepared to the best of my abilit with gear, sat phone, and hopefully a decent gameplan, but I will have to learn on my own. I think for me, the mental aspect is the toughtest of all. I know that all I have to do is hike out empty handed to my truck and quit. Got a lot to prove to myself, and I have one heck of a wife who is backing me.

TWP, haven't spoken to anyone. I don't plan on doing any draw hunts or even applying. I just want to get out there and enjoy the experience and work hard. I have been focusing on training for the last month. Don't really even know what units to look at, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks for the encouragement, and the warnings. They are both helpful, and it let's me know that the GS will be behind me as I'm trudging along.

Comment

Marsh, don't worry. We are NOT trying to deter you or anyone else at all!!!! Just want you to go in with your eyes wide open is all. And not to make the mistakes that we have. You will anyway, but we try. Lol

With that said, you need to find a unit and start calling GWs and biologists to get best 1) access points 2) traditional population numbers 3) usual hunt success rates, etc. You need to have a game plan even if you are doing OTC.

What week are you looking at doing? If my group decides to do Colorado instead of Idaho, I don't see why we couldn't meet up.

Comment

Good luck Marsh! I'm certainly not an expert but if I can help you in any way let me know.

Tapachat

Comment

Well my Kuiu order has been shipped out. Got my confirmation minutes ago. Can't wait to test it out along with my core 4. Sold all my sitka gear just so I could get the Kuiu. I am stoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
                    Well my Kuiu order has been shipped out. Got my confirmation minutes ago. Can't wait to test it out along with my core 4. Sold all my sitka gear just so I could get the Kuiu. I am stoked.
                    What did you order? Will need reviews also :-)

Comment

I wont try and talk you out of going solo. I hunted elk a few years solo myself. Just got to be prepared for anything. I still enjoy going out solo. As far as the calling goes they can pinpoint you. I call for about 5mins then move and wait 20 mins. Keep a map in camp with a xspot just incase something does happen will have an area to start looking. Check in with somebody and let them know how things are going. Oh yea you know you are going to be a elkaholic just like the rest of us. Good Luck

Comment

What did you order? Will need reviews also :-)
                        Attack pants, spindrift jacket and beanie. They don't have the guide jacket or gloves in yet. I am using the core 4 base layers as they seem to be the best i have found. I am still debating on the chugach pants and jacket.

Comment

i use a spot, very handy and comofting for folks at home. i bought it a few years ago when i did a DIY solo hunt for Mountain goat in Utah. just be sure to renew the subscription each year.

Comment

Well my jacket is back ordered and so is the beanie but I got my Kuiu Attack pants today. I tried them on and they fit and feel 100 times better than sitka. It's a close call between them and my core4element pants. I think the Kuiu are going to be a great set of clothing for any hunt.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the update on KUIU

Comment

Marsh, don't worry. We are NOT trying to deter you or anyone else at all!!!! Just want you to go in with your eyes wide open is all. And not to make the mistakes that we have. You will anyway, but we try. Lol

With that said, you need to find a unit and start calling GWs and biologists to get best 1) access points 2) traditional population numbers 3) usual hunt success rates, etc. You need to have a game plan even if you are doing OTC.

What week are you looking at doing? If my group decides to do Colorado instead of Idaho, I don't see why we couldn't meet up.
                                I know yall just want me to be cautious. I'm not going into this half azz. I know nothing about this type of terrain, especially hunting it. Trust me, I'm not taking this lightly. I appreciate all the help.

I was going to take the 3rd rifle season, but the more I think about it, if that is my only option, I may not do it because I want to arrow one rather take one with a rifle. It is just my preference. I would like to go during bow season, but I need to double check with the school in advance, as I have been told that if it is that far ahead, I should be ok. With that said, I am looking at a few days before and after labor day weekend, so I will at least have three days where I don't have to use vacation. That is my tentative plan, but I am still in the development stages on that. Meeting up in the mountains would be awesome if yall don't make to Idaho. Heck, I would love to go there as well.

I wouldn't mind checking into OR or ID myself since I can get OTC tags for both. Don't know what I may be in for, but I'm not letting the fact that I will have to hunt alone stop me.

I just hope that rifle season isn't my only option. Don't know what I'll do.

Comment

Working...
                                X