The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old killer View Post
    Power bugle from elk inc. It is a great locater call. I prefer the chuckle after I find a bull, in N.M. it seems to work best early season. Peterson's hyper-hot for a hot cow call and any mouth call that you can make work, the reed call I keep in my mouth to stop a bull where I want him.
    The new rules in New Mexico will run off a lot of nr's. I am not sure what will happen, but we get drawn every year for the north central units.
    We average 66% kills, and two years we had 100%. We don't hunt for the huge trophys, but have taken 2 320's and 2 310's in the last few years.
    In N.M. the most trouble comes from locals cutting firewood everywhere and hunting on the roads. They almost never get off the roads to find elk.
    If you don't mind me asking, how are you getting drawn every year for units in NM?

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
      Just got my Kelty Cache Hauler in the mail. It is real now. I stuck the kids in for weight (50, 35, 30) and hauled them around the yard for 30 min while they were strapped in and giggling. Will make the first real trek this afternoon on a six mile walk with some weight. Will definitely let yall know how this goes.
      Yeah buddy! Congrats on the first step.

Comment

Well, other than a good piece of raw skin on my left foot, I made the six mile trek with 30 lbs up and down hills on a gravel road with not too much difficulty. I will be bumping up to 40 lbs this week. Trying to locate some good steep hills.

Comment

Good thread. My first elk hunt was in central Idaho back in the early 90s. Had no clue what I was doing and it was pre internet so we did not have great info like what is on this thread. Dropped off by jet boat onto some terrible rocks almost killed myself getting my 80ish pound pack up to the trail head. Took canned food, dried sausage, jerkey etc to eat and a tarp was my tent along with a very comfortable but super heavy oversized sleeping bag(no sleeping pad is a bad idea). It was a learning experience from the moment our boots hit the rocks. To make a long story short rats ate most of the meat that I hung under my tarp the first day and night. We did try to bugle( again no idea)and had several bulls fired up and talking close by in the timber but never killed anything. The only other hunters we saw came in after we were there about 7 days and both killed good bulls in 2 days of hunting. They were kind enough to coach us but we were out of time by then. Net was a very fun trip that was a true adventure. I think the not knowing what we were doing is what made it so much fun. Most of what Ive learned since then has been mentioned already. Go light, get in shape,buy good gear(light), wool pants r awesome, and have fun.

Comment

I am really wondering about my tactics for camping out there. As a newb on a first year elk hunt, should I do the bivy thing or should I park the truck, walk a few miles, set up a spike camp, and hunt out of that for four or five days? I will be doing this alone, and I just don't want to have to hike all over hell and back unnecessarily, but I have never undertaken anything like this before. Even if I do the bivy style hunting, am I ok leaving my truck for days while I'm out chasing elk? This is getting more real as the season rolls around.

By the way, to update the guys from "The Elk Thread," the Kelty Cache Hauler is awesome and affordable. I am up to six miles at a time with 40-50lbs. Granted that is OK elevation, but I am busting my butt to do this. I think I'm gonna force my way into a Sept. hunt at work rather than wait until Nov.

++++ I know that I've talked about this before on this thread, but the more I'm training and the closer the time to put up or shut up, I'm getting a little nervous. I'm trying to remember that it is just an awesome experience, but I just don't want to bite off way more than I can chew my first time out. Is it wrong to be nervous about the first time doing this kind of hunt?

Comment

Marsh, I will do this here instead of PM. First off, way to go! You've committed and are prepping yourself for success. I applaud you sir.

As for tactics. That is up to you brother. Are you planning on a wilderness area or a national forest/blm hunt? I highly highly suggest getting The Elknuts Play Book. I have personally never had problems with my truck being messed with. Believe me though, a solo bivy hunt is no joke. You need to have good woodsman skills and a good way to get a hold of the outside world if you get hurt. Shoot me a pm with what units you are looking at. Have you called any biologists?

Comment

Good for you Marshrat! People are more capable than they give themselves credit for. You are preparing physically and your passion for this hunt will give you the mental toughness you will need. Hundreds+ of guys go solo every year, you will be fine. Just remember, should you be successful you will have to get the meat out. For a solo guy that's at least 3 heavy round-trips, probably more.

Try to work out the kinks in your camping by doing it local. Find a primitive camp spot and hike to it just like you would be doing in the mountains. Use just what you haul in, eat mountain house, filter your water, crap in the woods....the whole 9 yards. Do that a few times and you will get your system right. Try to get your week long system down under 50#s. There is not much you can do to prepare yourself for the altitude other than being physically fit. You are gonna suck wind and go slow the first 2-3 days there is no getting around it.

In the latest Elk Hunter Magazine Nate Simmons talks about how to save weight in his Bivy pack. He said that over the years the most significant savings have been from clothing and food. Most guys just starting out(me included)pack way too much of both.

In addition to your physical preparedness you need to be adding gear and the winter is the best time as you can get great deals. The first year is the worst year for getting gear because you need everything and don't have any experience on what will work. 2 man tent, sleep system(pad/bag), water treatment and bladder,light rain gear, GPS, headlamp, boots, clothing are just a start on things that the normal flatlander deer hunter do not have or if they do have are not optimal for backpack hunting.

A Spot or Sat phone can be rented for your hunt. I definitely recommend one these for a solo hunt.

Also note that with the right coupon code you can get a pair of Asolo Sasslongs for about $125 from Sierra Trading Post. Sasslongs are a very capable boot for mountain hunting IMO. I have a pair as a backup.
                Last edited by drthornton; 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
                  Well, other than a good piece of raw skin on my left foot, I made the six mile trek with 30 lbs up and down hills on a gravel road with not too much difficulty. I will be bumping up to 40 lbs this week. Trying to locate some good steep hills.
                  Merino wool socks and duct tape my friend. Get to know both and you will avoid those crippling blisters.

Comment

Marsh are you going solo for your first elk hunt in the back country?

If so that is extreme hard core....especially for a first timer. You can certainly tell me to mind my own business .... but try to get a partner to go with you.

First of all calling in an elk solo is very hard to do. I've done it but it was a lucky deal. Its way easier to kill an elk when a buddy is calling behind you. Its amazing how they hone in on exactly where the sound is coming from. If they don't see an elk where they think it should be....they are gone. At minimum bring a Montana Elk decoy with you if you go solo.

Second is packing out the animal.....very important have a packer lined up if you get something....call ahead. One man making multiple trips to pack an elk out many miles is next to impossible. At a minimum alot of meat would be spoiled just from the time and trips it takes to pack that elk out. It would take one man 4-6 trips to pack a whole elk out.

Lastly having a partner involved makes the mental aspect of the hunt so much better.
                    There was a guy on TBH last year that attempted a solo mule deer hunt in Colorado in the back country and after only a couple days he quit and came home. Weather and bad luck made him question his decision.

Just some things to ponder as you plan your hunt. Like I said....you can tell me to buzz off anytime.....I won't be offended.

Comment

Moleskin will help with blisters....superglue will too.

Comment

Alright, I'm on this wagon now.
                        I just bought a 5 day horseback hunt in SE Idaho at the RMEF banquet.

I've been itching to get back in the mountains. I guess I need to ramp up my getting back in shape now.

Comment

Way to go Clint! Is it a gun or bow hunt? Looking at doing an Idaho hunt this year as well.

Comment

There are no elk in Idaho!

Comment

don't forget that tomorrow is the deadline for Wyoming non-resident applications.. unless you are just applting for a preference point (that will be in late summer)

Comment

My buddy's spotting scope pics say different! Ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                                X