No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing this back up. TONS of great info.

Comment

There has been a lot of good clothing on camofire. The Core 4 Element stuff is very good. I got some Switchback pants which seem every bit as good as my Sitka Ascent.

If anyone needs Sitka or First Lite stuff...this place has the best deals online
      This website is for sale! high-mountain-outfitters.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, high-mountain-outfitters.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

WY apps due in a little over 2 weeks.

Comment

Good to hear DrT! I was curious if the core 4 stuff was any good. Still think Jason at KUIU is going to get the bulk of my funds this year. Do you have any of his gear besides the Icon. Speaking of, have you gotten to put the Icon through the paces yet???

Comment

Power bugle from elk inc. It is a great locater call. I prefer the chuckle after I find a bull, in N.M. it seems to work best early season. Peterson's hyper-hot for a hot cow call and any mouth call that you can make work, the reed call I keep in my mouth to stop a bull where I want him.
          The new rules in New Mexico will run off a lot of nr's. I am not sure what will happen, but we get drawn every year for the north central units.
          We average 66% kills, and two years we had 100%. We don't hunt for the huge trophys, but have taken 2 320's and 2 310's in the last few years.
          In N.M. the most trouble comes from locals cutting firewood everywhere and hunting on the roads. They almost never get off the roads to find elk.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            Marsh, it is the slope that will be facing north, it will also almost ALWAYS have more veggatation on it as well. You will most def see what we mean once you get up there. The north facing slopes in some areas only get limited sunlight vs the southside, more veggies equal more elk and more elk cover. An example is usually a north facing bar ditch will hold snow for several more days longer than a south facing bar ditch, the south gets more sunlight and more melting. (best way I can describe it for us flatlanders) .
            IMO the north facing slopes would apply to early season hunts when its warm....ie...early archery season. Elk want to stay cool.....North slopes are where its at.

However....Like TWP states above when its cold with snow on the ground (rifle season or any late hunt)......South facing slopes would more likely hold elk. They get more sunlight....the elk can get out of the wind...the snow will melt first on a south facing slope.

Comment

[QUOTE=old killer;4812958]Power bugle from elk inc. It is a great locater call. I prefer the chuckle after I find a bull, in N.M. it seems to work best early season. Peterson's hyper-hot for a hot cow call and any mouth call that you can make work, the reed call I keep in my mouth to stop a bull where I want him.
              The new rules in New Mexico will run off a lot of nr's. I am not sure what will happen, but we get drawn every year for the north central units.
              We average 66% kills, and two years we had 100%. We don't hunt for the huge trophys, but have taken 2 320's and 2 310's in the last few years.
              In N.M. the most trouble comes from locals cutting firewood everywhere and hunting on the roads. They almost never get off the roads to find elk.[/QUOTE

Yep, was on a unit 15 Gila hunt and had a truck drive by with five guys riding in the back with their bows...saw them in my scope two days later doing the same thing. Cracked me up!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                Good to hear DrT! I was curious if the core 4 stuff was any good. Still think Jason at KUIU is going to get the bulk of my funds this year. Do you have any of his gear besides the Icon. Speaking of, have you gotten to put the Icon through the paces yet???
                Yeah it's pretty comparable to Sitka. I didn't really need anything but I really wanted to put together a Max-1 outfit...I am going to pair the pants with a first lite merino top as Core 4 doesn't have their pivot top in Max-1.

You could do a lot worse than the KUIU stuff. The blog on the quality of the materials was very interesting.
                Follow and contribute to the process...

I don't have any other KUIU stuff but I am eyeballing the Spindrift Primaloft jacket for a packable layer. If I were getting KUIU stuff I would get a 185 top and definitely the attack pants in addition to the spindfrift. I am not a fan of the regular jackets for backpack hunts as I feel they are too heavy and bulky for use in Sept. I also think the vest Kuiu has is a little thin to really provide much warmth. I am a big fan of vests and would look at a Sitka Celsius or Kelvin before the Kuiu.

I have not put the Icon to any paces yet...I have been lazy so far and didn't start training until this week. Putting my WY app in got me fired up. I suspect I'll start getting some weight in it in the next few weeks.
                Last edited by drthornton; 01-19-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Nice!!! Yeah, I have been a follower of KUIU from the start. Have called and spoke with Jason a couple times, but didn't mountain hunt this year with newborn so didn't buy anything yet. I already have everything I need, but I still needs me the gear fix. ha ha ha

Comment

Well, saw something today that was cool and sad. Saw 20+ big bull elk north of town in Williston, ND. The bad thing is, they were eating hay inside a small high fenced pasture. They are truly amazing animals and always leave me in awe. Even if there is a fence between us.

Comment

Dr, have any KUIU Icon field notes for any of us?

Comment

What socks are yall using? My feet sweat bad so I prefer to use a very lightweight synthetic sock made by wigwam. I am going to try a few pair of warmer moisture wicking socks this off season.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                          What socks are yall using? My feet sweat bad so I prefer to use a very lightweight synthetic sock made by wigwam. I am going to try a few pair of warmer moisture wicking socks this off season.
                          Merino wool are the best socks I've found. That stuff is just awesome on any type of clothing.

Comment

Yep, merino wool is amazing indeed! I wish I could afford to have all my boxers, tshirts and socks made of it.

What brands of wool does everyone like?

Comment

Awesome thread guys. I got my first bull last year in NM and we are putting in again this year....

Socks, I wear smartwool socks, and sometimes the poly liners. Always carry an extra pair in the pack also.

Comment

Just got my Kelty Cache Hauler in the mail. It is real now. I stuck the kids in for weight (50, 35, 30) and hauled them around the yard for 30 min while they were strapped in and giggling. Will make the first real trek this afternoon on a six mile walk with some weight. Will definitely let yall know how this goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X