Tips on laying st. Augustine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    However Juan & Jose want to get it done.

That's a lot of grass to lay. Hope you have some help.
    Lol, exactly my thought. 14 pallets on a 90+ degree day? No thanks. Grass can stay dead til November.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
      It's all about how you prepare your soil. If you have time spread a 1/2 inch thick layer of a good quality compost. Lay sod on top and water water water!!! Due to the heat of the day you need to water at least every morning and night for half hour each. If sod doesn't get enough water roots cannot get established. Compost foundation will give it nutrients it needs to stay healthy thru summer.
      Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
      Stagger the seams. Buy some sand and mix with top soil to fill in any natural gaps. It will keep it from drying out the sides and roots. The roller from HD fills with water and will be a huge help in getting it level.
      This!

Comment

Some jobs are best left to professionals.
        So I'm guessing the OP is under 40 years of age?
        Good Luck,
        as mentioned, fill in all cracks and water twice a day for a couple of weeks then once a day. Roots are not deep or established initially so twice a day for 30 minutes as stated should do it. Too much water will kill it, as well fertilizing too early, don't ask how I know.

Comment

My wife and I laid 15 pallets at our previous house. Killed everything that was currently there, waited 2 weeks, tilled and leveled the entire yard. Worked from the house out so we didn’t block access to the house. Kinda like painting yourself into a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
            House to curb? I was told curb to house. No?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
            You saw mine. That was 34 pallets, and I am still short about 5. I started at the house/fence and worked to the curb. I am definitely not looking forward to my water bill.

Comment

Make sure you water the pallets of sod if its not laid tomorrow. Best case is to make sure its all down the day you get it.

House to curb or curb to house doesnt matter. Just find a straight side and lay it down.

Comment

I scraped my old weed/grass off with the FEL on my tractor.I do not have any implements at home for the tractor so I rented a rear tine and I tried to loosen the soil day before the sale at Sutherlands and that was a fail, ground was too hard. I bought 5 pallets of St Augustin florotam(sp?) and my son, my self and my sons friend helped. We laid it one day. Took me 2 weeks to recover, I was hurting. Anyways, my point is I did not have time to prep the right way but its growing fine. After getting it laid I poured the water to it, rolled it with my zero turn. I did curb to the house

Comment

Green side up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

St Augustine likes a thin layer of cotton burr compost mixed in with the loosened soil. The compost underneath helps to hold water and let the new roots take hold. No need to fertilized until winter. Water water water but don't drown it.

Comment

After 14 Pallets I hope you survived to make another post!

Comment

when i was much younger dad bought several pallets to sod new yard... we laid out in checkerboard fashion and didn't take long for the grass to fill in the gaps.... he was and still is tight with the $$$

Comment

I would have suggested parallel with the fall of the land. Like a rice field.

My dad was tighter that the above poster
                          We sprigged an acre with San Augustine pieces.

Good luck in this heat.

BP

Comment

First step is about nine undocumented workers from HomeDepot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Any good sources for cheap pallets of St. A around Houston?

Comment

You can't put to much water on it, I repeat you can't!!! keep it wet until it roots down......

Comment

Working...
                                X