Laguna Atascosa 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Y'all ever try Permethrin (pure 100%, not deet) on your boots and pants?

I've been using it for the past couple years and haven't found any ticks on me since...though not sure how bad those areas are for ticks to begin with.
    I used it religiously last year and had several ticks on me. I wore a base layer and I could feel when there were trying to bite/pinch thru it on my skin. I even had a tick in my under arm when I got home a day later. Woke me up when it stared crawling. That stuff works but you need to apply it several times a day down there. Ticks were very bad

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
      For archery you get five days. For rifle you get three days. That is why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      Thank you!

Anybody got a bead on actual huntable acres for 250 archers? Does a person draw for a specific unit and stays in that unit or area all huntable units open to a LA permit?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Thank you!

Anybody got a bead on actual huntable acres for 250 archers? Does a person draw for a specific unit and stays in that unit or area all huntable units open to a LA permit?
        It's a free-for-all. Anyone can hunt anywhere in the huntable units.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Thank you!

Might want to try reading the hunt brochure...

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
            It's a free-for-all. Anyone can hunt anywhere in the huntable units.
            Thank you!

I read the brochure briefly. I dont know that either of my questions were answered in it.

That or maybe I just wanted to be abused by someone who didnt answer my question.

Comment

Not just directed at you, but two of the three you asked where either in the hunt brochure or the draw hunt brochure.

Comment

You can text me Briar Friar if you want. I will politely answer your questions. I say put in for it. I got drawn last year for Nilgai and this year for deer. It's like a lot of public land. If you are willing to go past the dreaded one mile mark you will see animals. It seems 1 mile is the comfort limit for a lot of hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew for the first archery hunt as well. Im stoked!

Comment

LA Archery

I also drew the first hunt. 17th-21st!

It'll be my brother, a buddy and myself! We've never been and I'm researching like a feign! Hoping to connect on anything!!!

Comment

Well dang, work trip I can't get out of came up so someone pending 2nd draw is going to enjoy my spot. Good luck to everyone

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                        Well dang, work trip I can't get out of came up so someone pending 2nd draw is going to enjoy my spot. Good luck to everyone
                        Don't want to sound selfish but I hope its me!! LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                          Don't want to sound selfish but I hope its me!! LOL.

I hope it's someone that will enjoy it! 90% of the time I would tell my boss I already had submitted pto and send someone else but this was a call from the VP of our company so it's a meeting I have to take.

At least I get to keep my points

Comment

Drew 11/17 to 11/22.. good luck to all

Comment

My BIL and I got to hunt last year and had encounters with more hunters than animals the first day. I knew better but the immense fresh sign in the area overrode my better judgement. Not to mention the fact that we had seen 20 something nilgai early on the morning of the scouting day in this area. I was about 1.5mi. in and as I was exiting my blind stepped around the bit of brush I was in and immediately spotted 4 other hunters all within 300yds of me. Needless to say the next day we formed a new plan and biked 6mi. in and at 11am that day my BIL connected with his first deer, ever. A small 6pt at 12yds. If we would have stayed put we would have had a chance at a doe as well. It was definitely the most rewarding hunt ive ever been on. Getting that deer out was painful to say the least as I'm not really in that good of shape.

We learned a lot and I will be going back this year with a good buddy for the first archery hunt this year as well.

Just fyi for the first timers, find the best tick repellant you can and use it liberally! I was able to avoid getting many on my skin but I freaked a little the first time realized I was looking at hundreds of seed ticks on my pant legs. I am deliberately wearing solid color pants again for this reason.

Hoping to score this year!! Good luck to everyone!!
                              Last edited by frh290; 09-11-2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Just got an email from TPWD, got drawn for LA on second draw!! Can't wait to go back again this year!

Comment

Working...
                                X