Time to start over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts and prayers for sure.
    I can help you with a hunt too when you can make time to get away. It can be after wt season, we have exotics on our place too and I would like to bring you out to get your mind off things when you are ready.

Tim

Comment

My brother in law lives in Bevil Oaks on Moss Hill Dr. I removed everything from his house. It is heartbreaking to see peoples lives out at the road yet uplifting to see people helping people they have never seen before. We will continue to lift yall up. Be strong.

Comment

Praying for y'all Chris, drove by there when 105 opened up and was heartbroke to see the damage y'all suffered. Have y'all got power back yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
          Praying for y'all Chris, drove by there when 105 opened up and was heartbroke to see the damage y'all suffered. Have y'all got power back yet?
          They got power back to us around Friday. Had my house panel stripped and a 50A RV plug installed. Picking up a travel trailer either today or tomorrow.

It looks like a war zone out here. My parents are in a trailer at their house around the corner, and they said it's very eerie. Very few birds, no squirrels, rabbits, deer, etc during the day. Dead silence at night except one or two generators in the distance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Still no word on insurance. We have been jacked around pretty hard thus far. Here's a little timeline:

Aug. 30- Adjuster contacted us after we made the claim, set an appt for 9/8

9/6- We are able to get into the neighborhood, adjuster confirms 9/8

9/7- Adjuster calls to reschedule for 9/11

9/11- My wife, our contractor and I take off work to meet the adjuster, never shows up. I stayed (and didn't get paid) for 5.5 hours. Called the claims firm to get info, find out 2 hours later that the adjuster lived in Tampa, FL (Hurricane Irma) and left Texas to go home without telling anyone. We are not the only client he did not contact about this. Firm sets up another adjuster (who happens to be the original adjuster's boss). This guy calls us later, still no apology for not contacting us, and tells us that we will need to be patient because Irma just put every body's claim here on backlog.

9/12 - New adjuster shows up (not even the guy who was reassigned to us, but a 3rd person), does the evaluation, we sign for an advance to be overnighted to us. Evaluation sounds good, replace all windows, doors, pull ceiling sheetrock, all floor tiles, etc.

9/12-9/28 or so- Absolutely no contact with any of the adjusters. Won't answer the phones, texts, emails, you name it. Get a hold of one of the firm supervisors, and we get redirected to yet another person (I think this is #5). Tells us the paperwork for the advance wasn't turned in until 9/19 (overnighted, right?) and we should be getting it soon

9/28-10/8- Yet again, absolutely zero communication with adjusters. We received the advance check on 10/2, so that's a plus.

10/10- we get our insurance agent involved and call the claim firm again. Not an hour later, our adjuster texts us to let us know where to send our contents inventory list. Won't answer any texts past that. Claim firm said our claim has been sitting for a couple weeks with no activity, just needs to be approved and closed out. Firm says the adjuster set a reserve for us for $150k, as in that's what he's hoping we'll get. Told our contractor $150k and he laughed. Said with the prices of flooring, sheetrock and insulation, the guy is either smoking crack or didn't end up approving pulling the flooring (slate and ceramic tile).

And that's where we are right now. Still in a camper in the driveway and in limbo on the house. At this point, the person who is handling our claim has still never set foot on my property.

Comment

That sucks! Hope they get it together so you can move on. Are you dried out enough to start construction?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Horrible news but sounds just like what we are seeing as well. I have people that had “NO” fema flood get money at this point and I which have payed annually for 12 years can’t get a response or even a call back after a bogus inspection and write up. I have started putting the house back together and will continue with or without them. FEMA’s true colors are shining bright on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
                  That sucks! Hope they get it together so you can move on. Are you dried out enough to start construction?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  We're right on the edge. Majority of the house is 13-14% but I still have spots that are at 18, mostly around the back door and other windows.

We're also still not sure if we're going to try and rebuild or sell it as-is and walk. This is the second time this house has flooded in 20 years, so they are redrawing the flood map. Our flood ins rates may be quite a bit higher in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore2006 View Post
                    Horrible news but sounds just like what we are seeing as well. I have people that had “NO” fema flood get money at this point and I which have payed annually for 12 years can’t get a response or even a call back after a bogus inspection and write up. I have started putting the house back together and will continue with or without them. FEMA’s true colors are shining bright on my end.

I was starting to think we were the only ones. Nearly everyone I've talked to out here have gotten their reports and are dang near getting policy limits. Some have even already gotten paid out. All the reports have to go through the flood manager at city hall, and she has told us the average payout has been $120/sq ft. $150k is $93/sq ft for us.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepntx View Post
                      I was starting to think we were the only ones. Nearly everyone I've talked to out here have gotten their reports and are dang near getting policy limits. Some have even already gotten paid out. All the reports have to go through the flood manager at city hall, and she has told us the average payout has been $120/sq ft. $150k is $93/sq ft for us.

I’m seeing most of the same thing on my end. In talking to my homeowner policy agent he is aggravated because of how fema is handling it and said it’s a reflection of my adjuster. My adjuster wrote in his report that damage was minimal. 2800 sq ft house sheet rock out to 4’ and all floors pulled up. Not sure what he was looking at but any water in a house to me is not minimal. Good luck hopefully something will work out soon. We got word yesterday we could still be 20-30 days out from a settlement

Comment

Wow...I'm just now seeing this thread. My heart breaks for you guys. I just can't imagine what you must be having to endure. It's just heartbreaking to see that kind of damage and devastation. I think some people take their home for granted...how important it is to just be able to have a place to come home to after work...just to watch tv and relax. To be displaced like that is just sad.
                        Prayers to you and your entire family and community during the recovery process. May God bless you guys.

Comment

My prayer sent for you, your family, neighbors and all the Texans impacted by the hurricane.

Maybe I missed it posted earlier- who is the adjuster representing?

Your homeowners insurance carrier? ( I didn't think it covers flood damage)

Did you have a separate flood insurance policy? From the national flood insurance program?

Or are you dealing with FEMA and whatever program they have for uninsured?

Comment

Originally posted by bill in san jose View Post
                            my prayer sent for you, your family, neighbors and all the texans impacted by the hurricane.

Maybe i missed it posted earlier- who is the adjuster representing?

Your homeowners insurance carrier? ( i didn't think it covers flood damage)

did you have a separate flood insurance policy? From the national flood insurance program?

Or are you dealing with fema and whatever program they have for uninsured?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                            It's NFIP

Comment

I wish there was a way I could help. If it's federal, I'd call my congressman's office, talk to a staffer and ask if the Congressman's office could help "light a fire..,.,"

Worst that could happen?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepntx View Post
                                Where to begin? We don't live in Houston. We don't live in Rockport. We don't live in Corpus.

We live in a small community that, unless you live in Beaumont or have family there, you've probably never heard of it. We have about 565 households in our little incorporated township, 1300+ citizens.

We're a community that still lives with by-gone traditions. Our kids still ride their bikes and play outside until the street lights come on, we still know everyone else in the neighborhood, and we still wave at everyone walking or driving by.

We have an Easter Egg Hunt, a July 4th celebration with fireworks and a parade, a pet clinic available to everybody, Christmas In The Park, etc. Over the past year, we have raised nearly $30k dollars for a school district legal battle, and 95% of those funds have come from people in this neighborhood.

Got a tree down? A neighbor will gladly help. Lawnmower broke? A neighbor will gladly help. Tractor work? Car broke down? Home repairs? Yep, a neighbor will gladly help.

We have our own gas station, cajun restaurant, fire station (with the most amazing, selfless volunteers ever), Dollar General, crawfish restaurant, and we even had a feed store at one time.

Unfortunately, we also have a bayou. A mean, vengeful body of water that pulls no punches and has no mercy. She showed her strength in 1994 when she created at 37.5'. Nearly every home out here had water damage in some way. Experts said it was essentially a "Perfect Storm", a 1000 year flood due to circumstances that could never happen again. A travel trailer got caught in the flood and dammed the waterway, causing it to back up.

Fast forward to Harvey. 23 years later. Our little area got nearly 40" of rain. Once again, she pulled no punches. After 4 days, she has finally crested a little over 39.5'. Every. Single. Home is under water. Some had flood insurance, some did not. 95% of the homes are likely a total loss. It probably will be next Friday before we can even get in to see the destruction. We are all in contact with each other through group texts, Facebook groups, and GroupMe. The common theme is support. Love. Togetherness. We will rebuild. We will rebuild stronger and with determination. Because we are Texas Strong. We are Bevil Oaks Strong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                                Prayers for all

Comment

Working...
                                X