First bow- need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First bow- need advice

Looking for my first compound bow. Been rifle hunting for a while and got a crossbow a couple of years ago.

Primarily used for whitetail although would be interested in hunting elk in the future

What should I look for? Ideally want a lighter bow. Also want to make sure it is compliant in Colorado (think they have a left off requirement). What accessories should I look to get?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best advice to give a newbie is go shoot them all!!! The bow “will pick you” in a sense. You will began to feel different things with every single bow made today the more you shoot them. Accessories depend on how much money you want to ultimately spend after you pick the bow itself.

Comment

Lots of good used bows on tbh

Comment

First, go to a quality shop and get measured. Once there, don't be afraid to ask questions. I learned years ago that you don't have to buy the most expensive stuff but it's better to spend a little more and get what you want than to go cheap just to save a few bucks. You'll end up spending more in the long run. Shoot what feels right for you.

Comment

Check out the obsession bow thread

Comment

Not sure where you located at but if around the Houston area definitely go to Texas Archery formally Bow Zone. Them guys in there are awesome. But like everyone else said “shoot’em, shoot’em all” a bow is a big investment. I’ve made the mistake of going in & spending $2k on a bow only to find out that I liked & shot a different bow better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is good to be able to try different bow models and brands if possible. There are many good choices and you will find some that feel better to you than others.

One thing to keep in mind is draw weight. You want to be able to draw smoothly and with as little movement as possible. If you have to strain to draw the bow back while you are practicing, then after sitting for two hours in 30 or 40 degree weather it will be difficult to draw your bow without the deer picking up on it.

Another thing to consider is your sight. Again, there are many good choices. I prefer a single pin sight. For me it means less to clutter my sight window and with whitetail you will most likely be shooting distances of 25 yards or less.

A good bow shop is a great asset in your search. They can answer questions and allow you to test various options before you purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                Not sure where you located at but if around the Houston area definitely go to Texas Archery formally Bow Zone. Them guys in there are awesome. But like everyone else said “shoot’em, shoot’em all” a bow is a big investment. I’ve made the mistake of going in & spending $2k on a bow only to find out that I liked & shot a different bow better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill second that. Raymond at Texas Archery is the only one i let touch my bow

Comment

Go to your local shot and shoot whatever you like and is in your budget

Comment

Originally posted by TxLonghorn View Post
                    Looking for my first compound bow. Been rifle hunting for a while and got a crossbow a couple of years ago.

Primarily used for whitetail although would be interested in hunting elk in the future

What should I look for? Ideally want a lighter bow. Also want to make sure it is compliant in Colorado (think they have a left off requirement). What accessories should I look to get?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                    Would stick with the majority of the feedback already, find a good archery shop and shoots lots of bows. Ive found shops with multiple brands to be the best, otherwise they try and sway you towards whatever there main brand is, HOYT PRIME MATHEWS ETC. For a first bow I'd strongly look at the PSE brand, I started with a PSE Brute X and still shoot it today 6 years later. It is time for an upgrade though, but for the price you get a good accurate bow that will let you know if you like bow hunting.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Just need to debate if I need another hobby...

Comment

Originally posted by TxLonghorn View Post
                        Thanks for the feedback. Just need to debate if I need another hobby...

Why, as a matter of fact, you do need another hobby. One that involves bows & arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you’re looking for a more budget option Mission Bows are great. Depending on where your at West Houston Archery is a great shop with great techs.

Comment

Following...
                            Looking to get my first bow as well. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rango View Post
                              Following...
                              Looking to get my first bow as well. :-)
                              What’s your draw length?

Comment

Working...
                              X