No announcement yet.

Baddest dude you will ever see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met him on a plane flight coming home to Houston from Ft. Bragg years ago. He was having back trouble and had to stand in the back of the plane most of the flight. When I saw him I knew exactly who he was and went and stood with him and talked for quite awhile. It was a pretty big deal for this (at the time) young Paratrooper. A very humble guy and a true American hero.

Comment

Amazing !!!!!! Thank You for sharing

Comment

What a bad azz! For some reason the pollen around my house kicks up around my house when I watch videos like that...

Comment

For some reason, I don't think that MSG Benavidez would agree with the characterization of him as a Bad ***.

Not to diminish MSG Benavidez's actions in any way, but rather to illustrate that these types of actions were much more common in Vietnam than anyone knew, I suggest that you research also Robert L. Howard, often referred to as "The Greatest Hero America Never Knew".

Also Bruce Crandall, Ed W. Freeman, and many others. Most of these guys did their jobs and tried to get back to life without any fanfare or notoriety. It was not a popular thing to have been a soldier during or after Vietnam.
          I get choked up every time I think of these men. As someone else had said, for those that know, no explanation is necessary.

Comment

One of my VN brothers---and a medic also, but a medic of a different kind. Gave new meaning to the phrase "Runs to the sounds of the guns" didn't he?

El Paisano---you are spot-on about COL Howard---3 times nominated for the Medal. Read about him in the book SOG by John Plaster. BIG Cojones for sure.

You can read about Crandall and Freeman in the book "We Were Soldiers Once -- and Young"
            Last edited by dustoffer; 07-11-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                For some reason, I don't think that MSG Benavidez would agree with the characterization of him as a Bad ***.

Not to diminish MSG Benavidez's actions in any way, but rather to illustrate that these types of actions were much more common in Vietnam than anyone knew, I suggest that you research also Robert L. Howard, often referred to as "The Greatest Hero America Never Knew".

Also Bruce Crandall, Ed W. Freeman, and many others. Most of these guys did their jobs and tried to get back to life without any fanfare or notoriety. It was not a popular thing to have been a soldier during or after Vietnam.
                I get choked up every time I think of these men. As someone else had said, for those that know, no explanation is necessary.
                Read your post several times and not real sure what to make of it. The "no explanation is necessary" seems to be saying Roy should not have shared his story?? If that is what you are saying then I disagree 100%.

I have the utmost respect for Roy Benavidez and anyone else who fought for our nation. The "characterization" was meant as a compliment. I knew him and was the one who hooked him up with the MDRT meeting for this video to be done. I was in the audience and the number of his speaking engagements exploded after this presentation was done. I for one appreciated his willingness to share.
                Last edited by TKK; 07-11-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
                  True American Hero!!
                  Yes sir. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the honor of meeting Roy when he spoke to a civic club I was a member of in the late 80's.

Comment

It's been a long time since I saw this....but, just watched again and reminded me that I can always find inspiration from true Hero's!

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                        I had the honor of meeting Roy when he spoke to a civic club I was a member of in the late 80's.
                        that is where I met him the first time - spoke to our civic club for free - took my then 10 year old son and he never forget hearing Roys message

Comment

ttt

Comment

thanks for reviving this thread - I was OP - I try to watch it at least one time per year -

Comment

Every weak sister, America hating, Hollywood suck-up, Democrat should have to watch this and then explain to America how a man this great, with so much love of country and duty, can come from a country as bad as they say America is. God bless him!

Comment

Roy was a very good friend of mine and above all a Patriot. He truly loved our country.

Comment

Working...
                                X