Tax return question - Is it fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax return question - Is it fair?

Here's a topic that I am curious to know how you feel about it...

I have someone in my family, not immediate, that is receiving a rather large tax refund. She is low income and has three kids. She claims she is receiving over DOUBLE what she even paid into taxes to begin with! Is this even possible? If so, I think it's BS that someone can receive a larger tax refund then they even paid in total. Opinions?

I've got a couple in my family as well as co-workers with family members that are this exact way. It's not really fair in my eyes. They parade around and tell everyone what they got back. Then, proceed to go out and blow it all at bars, on drugs, and crap like mini motorcycles that they don't need. It's a sad deal. Something needs to be done about things like this instead of all efforts trying to ban certain types of firearms and magazines, IMO.

Comment

if anyone is enrolled into welfare or lonestar their returns should be forfeited to the govt, and that should be either husband or wife so one cant claim the welfare and one claim income taxes

Comment

Atleast have a law to limit that their refund can be more then they even paid.

disclaimer* - There may already be this law, and she was full of crap. I am ignorant to tax laws.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post

disclaimer* - There may already be this law, and she was full of crap. I am ignorant to tax laws.
          I don't think there is. There sure needs to be though. I recall one of my co-workers sons getting back 4k last year while only paying in 1500 or something like that.

Comment

Yep, it happens. My neighbors SIL works it out to get this every year. I believe it is due to the earned income tax credit.
            It burns me up also, is a bunch of bull.

Comment

I guess theoretically it is possible with the child tax credits. When I was in high school working part time my income fell below the "poverty level" and I received all my paid taxes back but I never got more than I paid. I can see a similar situation where someone falls below the poverty line in income but received additional deductions for children. Not saying it is right, just saying I believe it is possible.

Edit: What rjet said! I didn't know the name of it.

Comment

Happens all the time.

Comment

Why isn't it fair? Our gubment gives away money they don't have every day!

I don't see how anyone can think it's right to get back more than you paid in.
                  I know there are some kinks that need to be worked out, but I really wish we'd go to a flat tax or a consumption tax ... everyone pays their share that way.

Comment

Its the child income credit or whatever its called. Its how the illegals file saying they didnt pay taxes on $150 of lawn mowing money but they support 20 illegal children and they get refunds of $20-30k. Course the IRS wants nobody to speak of this or mention it to them, and they wanna question every expense I claim on my taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
                      Yep, it happens. My neighbors SIL works it out to get this every year. I believe it is due to the earned income tax credit.
                      It burns me up also, is a bunch of bull.
                      Should be called the UNearned income tax credit.

Comment

Oh... the only FAIR around here is in east Dallas in October!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          Should be called the UNearned income tax credit.
                          X2

Comment

Once had a woman work for us with 3 kids.....payed NOTHING in taxes......recieved between $10K-$13K a year back.................. Once she was granted citizenship

Comment

What!!!???? I had no idea you could get more back then you actually paid in. That is a load of BS!

Ike

Comment

Working...
                              X