X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by gonecoastal View Post
      I'm guessing you can do without buying the special canning kit and use a normal pot with tongs for sanitizing the jars/lids and finishing the canning process. Is that right?

As long as your pot is deep enough to submerge the jars an inch over the top, it should work.

Comment

I am in the process of trying this today, and I think I screwed up. I used stock pots for the jars, with a towel in the bottom because I don't have a rack. 5lbs of tomatoes made 6 pints, and it's a little runnier than I would have liked. Probably should have drained more juice. Also, my stock pots weren't tall enough to cover the lids, so I am boiling for 20 minutes with a lid and I have 2 of the 6 jars on their side to keep them submerged completely. No idea if this is going to work or not. Also, I added all my peppers (10 jalapenos and 4 habaneros) all at once. Did not try adding throughout the cook to measure the heat, so no clue how hot or mild this will come out.

Maybe next time I'll try using my turkey frier to make sure I can get the water deep enough.

Comment

Update...I removed them from the stock pots and put them in the turkey frier with the extra rings as a rack. 2 inches of water over the lids.

When I transferred them, they pinged. Did I ruin it?

Comment

Canning Salsa - Step by step with Photos

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
            Update...I removed them from the stock pots and put them in the turkey frier with the extra rings as a rack. 2 inches of water over the lids.

When I transferred them, they pinged. Did I ruin it?

No. They are supposed to ping when they cool. That tells you they have a good deal.
            If they pinged between the different pots it just meant they cooked a little. They just need to ping when they finally cool.

One last thing, they do need to boil upright.
            Last edited by scotty; 12-28-2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Well carp. Guess I'll have to figure out which ones were sideways somehow. I go through salsa quick so maybe I'll just keep it all in the fridge in case. They appear to all have sealed up pretty well.

Comment

After they cool, take the screwed on ring off. If you can't easily pull the flat lid off you are good. If they aren't sealed, simply put them back in the boiling water bath and boil them again. No harm.

Comment

They all sealed up well and it tastes pretty good

Comment

thanks for sharing

Comment

Going to make a batch of this tonight....

Comment

Originally posted by GR5 View Post
                        My grandmother didn't water bath at all. Put hot mixture into hot jars and turned upside down on the counter. Didn't hurt us

^^^^this. Been doing it this way for decades!!!! Grandma can't be wrong.

Comment

Nice post, my mouth is watering!

Comment

Subbing to this thread. Going to make - er, ask - the fiance if she wants to do this with me..

Comment

Tagged for later I planted some Romas this year just for salsa.....

Comment

Thanks for bringing this back to the top and reminding me my "garden" this year is nothing but a flooded patch of tilled earth. Dang it.

Comment

Working...
                                X