Issues broadhead tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues broadhead tuning?

I have had a really difficult time getting my bow tuned for broadheads.

Just so you know the equipment, I am shooting a LEFT handed 2013 Elite hunter. 29" draw set around 62 pounds. Arrows are gold tip 340 spine arrows fletched with 3" vanes with nockturnals on the back end and a 20 grain weight behind the broadheads.

I have tried a few different heads including drt's, stingers, and slick trick mags. Broadheads are consistently hitting to the right of field tips by a good 7-8" and I have tried moving the rest in both directions to fix this.

My question is I feel like a need to basically start from scratch to fix this unless I am just missing something. I feel that my nock height and rest height are good, and center shot appears to be good also. Where would you guys start to try to figure this out?

Check to make sure your bow is in spec i.e.: axel to axel, brace height, draw weight and draw length. If your bow is in spec, set your arrow dead level, and run the center of your arrow through the Berger hole. Set your center shot at 3/4". when you draw your bow back, look to see how the strings are coming off your top and bottom cam. You could be torquing your bow if your grip is not on. 7-8" is a long way off (assuming 20 yds). Also, check to make sure your draw stops are hitting at the same time. I would just start over if I were you. Hope this helps.

Comment

I would be suspect of an under spine arrow depending on how long you have them cut. Take the extra weight or of them first and see where that gets you. If that doesn't fix it I would look into the bow tune. And make sure you aren't torquing the bow any at all during release. Video yourself

Comment

Agree with removing weight. Insure broad heads and arrows spin true. Check paper tune from 15 feet; this is approximately the distance you arrow will be it's farthest out of line: and practice shooting through paper to insure you are getting consistency in your shot.

Comment

What vanes are you shooting? How much helical or offset?

Comment

I'll take a stab at this.

Your arrows look to be on the line for being underspined. As posted above take the extra tip weight off. Or go to a 300 spine

First put bow into spec. Check cam timing And sync cams this is two differnt things . Best way for an elite is a draw board. Look it up they have a video. It can be done with out. But it takes two.

Set center shot 13/16 to 7/8. Level knoc.

Now take one arrow. Stand three ft from target at shoulder height. Hang a string and shoot the string. Adjust sight only till hitting string. Back up to 20 yards. Shoot string with at least three arrows. Adjust till all hit string. With rest. Now set a string horzontal. Shoot the three arrows and adjust loop till a straight line. Your arrow should be level to slight knoc high. If way high or low at all you have another problem. Now recheck the vertical line.

Now shoot your broadheads.

Some info. If your moving your rest very much. 1/8 is to much. You may have a toque problem, a spine problem. And it would be underspined. No such thing as overspined. Or the cams need to be shimmed. Needing to get arrow I front of the power stoke. There is a few more things to look at.
            Last edited by enewman; 01-31-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

IMO first off is if you have a basic tune on the bow and the broadheads do not respond to any rest movement this would point me to hand torque or improper draw length or improper shoulder/arm alignment at full draw.
              Left hand shooter with broadheads shooting to the right of field points points to stiff shafts not weak but depending upon there length.
              Try a different bow grip and re-test.
              Last edited by SAVIOUR68; 01-31-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Saviour68

That is why I don't look at paper tuning as weak/stiff. We know his arrows are not to stiff. If anything it's border line weak. We also know there is no such thing as a stiff arrow.

So if bow is in all specs. And moving the rest does not move anything. Then you are correct. Its the shooter.

Do as saviour68 stated. Play with grip/form

Comment

I recently switched arrows from a 400 spine to the 340 bc I wanted to go with a heavier arrow. Arrow length carbon to carbon is 27.5" and nock to end of insert is 28". A complete arrow with tip weighs right at 500 grains. The only reason I don't think it has to do with form or grip is bc I had great broadhead flight with the 400 spine lighter arrows.

I will try it out with the weights out to make sure that isn't it, then if that doesn't work I will start over through paper. My ATA measurement is perfect right at 31.5". My brace height looks to be a tad short, but I'm not positive on where to take that measurement from since I have an aftermarket grip on the bow.

Comment

Remember there is a range of setup on the elite

Comment

Oh and the vanes are vanetec vmax 3" with a right helical.

Comment

Well if you had good flight with the 400 spine with broadheads then this may be a arrow issue.
                        What is the insert weight and broadhead weight ?
                        Also are the nockturals the same nock on both shafts or are they new, if new check for to tight nock fitment of the serving
                        Last edited by SAVIOUR68; 01-31-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

You have enough spine to tune, you are certainly not weak to the tune of a 7-8" lateral miss. You also have plenty of fletching , look elsewhere for your gremlins. Might need to just set back up from scratch, sounds like something simple.

Comment

Originally posted by SAVIOUR68 View Post
                            Well if you had good flight with the 400 spine with broadheads then this may be a arrow issue.
                            What is the insert weight and broadhead weight ?
                            Also are the nockturals the same nock on both shafts or are they new, if new check for to tight nock fitment of the serving
                            Total weight on the front end is 134 grains currently. 12 grains for the insert, 20 grain weight, and broadhead is 102 grains. The nockturnals are the same they have been and weigh about 22 grains. Nicks still snap in like they always have. Didn't get a chance to shoot today but will let y'all know when I do get a chance without the weights to see what that does. Could also do that plus crank down my draw weight some to see if that works.

Comment

Start with timing and paper tune (since you have already verified level & center shot). Just had almost exact issues with my back up Elite. Had slight tuning issues and it ended up being mostly spine of arrow as I had just changed......so there is some wisdom in what the other guys have already alluded to. My specs are almost exact to yours on Draw length, weight, and arrow length. Changed from FMJ's 340 and now shooting 400's. I am now shooting 1.5" cut fixed blades out to 60 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X