Matador WMA draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
    Not to hijack but didn't want to start another thread. My son and I drew the anterless hunt. Dec. 16-20. Any info you guys can share would be appreciated!

Hopefully I'll have some good tips and info after our hunt in October

Comment

Wondering if anyone has any tips on where I can find a really good map of the WMA?

Comment

Hopefully the PM's have helped you. A bow hunt at this place will be a huge task, maybe not as much as mine at Black Gap but tough. You will want to go back. Not for the food in the area though. We stayed in Paducah at the Hunters Lodge. Crash/wash/cheap.
        You will learn what dust is. We gun hunted and both killed nice bucks. We chased lots of "sign" and ended up lucky. All areas are good there. You will have an adventure.

Comment

I'll tell you one thing. DO NOT eat at the k bobs steakhouse in Childress. Dang near crapped my pants multiple times after eating there once. So did everybody else with me

Comment

Killed a 153 and dad shot a 140 out of the Ox pasture back in 99.
            Awesome place and huge Mulies in there as well.

Comment

Congrats on the draw, I would love to hunt deer on Matador! However, I have hunted pigs on the Matador and it was awesome. I saw quite a few mule deer and whitetail, as well as some javelinas. However, I am pretty sure that javelinas are not legal in that county...Anyway, as far as deer hunting goes, the terrain is extremely diverse. There are small rolling hills with little to no cover in some areas, there is the river valley, that is fairly open, and up top it is somewhat dense with junipers and little draws throughout (this is where I found the pigs and less deer btw). Almost all of the mule deer I saw were out in the open rolling hills. Good luck, I am sure you will have a blast!

Comment

When we had the Caprock Canyon mule deer hunt two years ago, we came right by Matador on out way down to see friends in Uvalde. It looks like beautiful deer country and we would really like to draw there someday. The pics I have seen show some great deer.

Comment

Thanks guys! To say I'm excited would be an understatement. We plan to hunt hard and cover lots of ground. We will be pulling a camper and generator too and by looking at the food reviews looks like we'll just bring our own and grill every night, lol

Comment

krausejmk,

I sent you a "vistor's message" due to having less than 15 posts. :/

Comment

Originally posted by 1-taylormade View Post
                      krausejmk,

I sent you a "vistor's message" due to having less than 15 posts. :/
                      Thanks! I cant seem to find where the visitor messages are so i will send you one and see if that works. If not feel free to post randomly on this thread to get your post count up, lol

Comment

I hunted last year's Archery Whitetail draw at the Matador. Success rate is very slim. Hot weather conditions were prevalent so not a lot of day time movement. I hunted the Shorty pasture. My advise would be to setup a brush blind near a game trail and be there way before day light and dusk to wait it out. Hike and scout during midday hours. I did spooked few whitetails on the river bottom. Glassing midday didn't turn up much activity. The deer are there in good numbers but i think are just more active at night. Watch out for Rattlesnakes! I seen a few. Good luck! Here are a couple photos I took last year in the Shorty Pasture.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Hi-Lonesome; 08-24-2017, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Try this again...

My deer lease of 12 years is about 6 miles due west of the Matador WMA. Like statements from the others, don’t expect any trees to hang a stand and plan on glassing all day. I’ve killed 4 nice mule deer bucks in the last 7 years with my rifle and I could have shot all of them with my bow. The mule deer in the panhandle are less skidish than what I’ve hunted in the TransPecos. That being said, I’ve spent a ton of time on the highest points glassing until I found them laying down or grazing and they were fairly easy to sneak up on. Unfortunately, GoogleEarth may have the best map (looks like it was last taken in 05/2016). Also, there’s a decent little café in “downtown” Matador.

Good luck and I’ll certainly be following your hunt through the forums.

Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                            Thanks! I cant seem to find where the visitor messages are so i will send you one and see if that works. If not feel free to post randomly on this thread to get your post count up, lol
                            12 more to go

Comment

I hunted the furtherest NE corner, and saw more than most, but is was later in the year and there were green fields already planted...

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I'll have service there and if so I will try and keep up with a live hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X