• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
    the recipe/directions are included with the boudin seasoning

cold smoke is ... smoke away brother

egg wash and flour, just like a fried chicken batter

you use "cure" for smoking boudin ? the boudin meat is already cooked and when you vacuum seal it , it lasts a good while in the freezer

I'm not concerned about the meat, the CASING is not cooked. Although I'm not a nitrate nazi myself I would not tell anyone to put a raw casing at cold smoke temperature for any length of time. The risk of bacteria forming on a raw intestine is as real as any raw meat, would it not be?

If you need to hear this from a recognizable authority consider this from Hank Shaw: " If you smoke them, you absolutely need to use the curing salt, Instacure No. 1, which you can buy online or in some butcher shops."

A Louisiana boudin sausage recipe. Boudin is meat and rice and vegetables in a casing, a Cajun favorite. Here's how to make it at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
      I'm not concerned about the meat, the CASING is not cooked. Although I'm not a nitrate nazi myself I would not tell anyone to put a raw casing at cold smoke temperature for any length of time. The risk of bacteria forming on a raw intestine is as real as any raw meat, would it not be?

If you need to hear this from a recognizable authority consider this from Hank Shaw: " If you smoke them, you absolutely need to use the curing salt, Instacure No. 1, which you can buy online or in some butcher shops."

A Louisiana boudin sausage recipe. Boudin is meat and rice and vegetables in a casing, a Cajun favorite. Here's how to make it at home.
      Hank Shaw didn't invent boudin ... Boudreaux and Thibodeaux did hundreds of years ago

I use natural casing for boudin that I steam. I use artificial (cellulose) casing for boudin that is smoked. After warming and when it's time to eat, I do NOT consume the casing; real or fake.

smoked

Comment

Ragin Blaze Boudin

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        Hank Shaw didn't invent boudin ... Boudreaux and Thibodeaux did hundreds of years ago [emoji6]b

I use natural casing for boudin that I steam. I use artificial (cellulose) casing for boudin that is smoked. After warming and when it's time to eat, I do NOT consume the casing; real or fake.

smoked

If you take those precautions then it sounds as if you understand why I recommended to the person inquiring about COLD smoking that cure should be used to be on the safe side.

His boudin recipe is one of the few of his that I would NOT recommend, but I'm not sure why he would be unqualified to dispense advice about common sense precautions when raw flesh is kept at temperatures favorable for bacterial growth for extended periods of time, but if you use artificial casings whrb you smoke it sounds like you would agree with him.

Last edited by JonW; 12-21-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Smart, maybe I was oversimplifying something you already knew. If you cold smoke sausage you know why cure is recommended. I'm guessing you stuff it in the same casings you stuff your sausage into like I do, but maybe using synthetic casings is your method.

Cajun Blake-is your seasoning for boudin the Cajun seasoning on your site? I didn't see one for boudin specifically. I'd love to try yours.

Comment

Ragin Blaze Boudin

Smart, maybe I was oversimplifying something you already knew. If you cold smoke sausage you know why cure is recommended. I'm guessing you stuff it in the same casings you stuff your sausage into like I do, but maybe using synthetic casings is your method.

Cajun Blake-is your seasoning for boudin the Cajun seasoning on your site? I didn't see one for boudin specifically. I'd love to try yours.

Been cold smoking sausage since 1978 just have never done boudin.... My dad and us boys were taught by a bunch of Czech men we grew up with back in the day. We never use cure unless the outside temps get over 55 degrees. Never had a sick person yet that I know of. Our preference is a blue norther day in the 40s with low humidity and we will switch for a better weather production day if we need to or can. If not, we bring out the cure reluctantly. And yes we stuff it into naturals casings
            Last edited by Smart; 12-22-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

When making boudin, keep you a pot of water boiling and as you finish stuffing a link, drop it in the water for a minute and then smoke it or vacuum seal it.

Comment

Ragin Blaze Boudin

I'm open to non traditional methods and have found several I like. Since switching to a chamber sealer I've used sous vide to finish certain sausages when looking for a specific consistency and gotten lucky a few times-boudin included.

Comment

my boudin seasoning is not listed on the site , PM me with any questions as I'll hook a brutha up

Comment

I know this is a old post but I have two questions.
                    1. Do any of you make it without the liver and if so does it affect the taste compared to what I would get buying boudin down in Lafayette?
                    2. What casings do y’all like best for boudin and do you eat it after cooking? I’m assuming natural hog casings are authentic but what do they stuff it in now in the popular places in Louisiana?
                    I’ve always eaten the case but I see above some people cut it out of the case??

Made the ragin blaze boudin before but made it before I got the instructions and messed it up lol. Ready to give it another shot.

Comment

Hi Etxnoodler,
                      I don't make it without liver, but many do and like it just fine. I actually go pretty heavy on the liver and it doesn't seem any stronger than lighter amounts, but that's just my experience. If you don't have any or don't like it, just go for it.

I only use hog casings. I won't eat it straight out of the case without cooking it. It's best to eat after it's been crisped a little, but can be eaten as long as it's brought to temp. It is recommended to use cure for true COLD smoking, but I smoke mine with temp so I don't cure.

I'd say much boudin is taken out of the casing when eaten, but it's strictly a matter of preference. If I'm not smoking, I've eaten plenty that never saw a casing.

Comment

Y’all have me wanting to make boudin. Blake do you use pork liver in your recipe? Is pork liver hard to find, don’t recall seeing it in the store like you do beef liver. Wonder how much different the pork liver taste from beef or chicken liver if you wanted to sub it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                          Y’all have me wanting to make boudin. Blake do you use pork liver in your recipe? Is pork liver hard to find, don’t recall seeing it in the store like you do beef liver. Wonder how much different the pork liver taste from beef or chicken liver if you wanted to sub it out.
                          Call your local butcher. They should have anything you need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Burton, we buy meat from a local processor and I’m sure they will have it or can get it easily. I didn’t even think about that, just don’t recall ever seeing it packaged at the counter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                              Thanks Burton, we buy meat from a local processor and I’m sure they will have it or can get it easily. I didn’t even think about that, just don’t recall ever seeing it packaged at the counter.
                              And they probably dont have it at the counter. But likely something they have on hand or can get.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

3 Main Types Of The Crossbow Broadheads For Gaming Or Hunting:

The First One is the broadhead having removable blades. They’re specially developed for the outstanding penetration, ideal balance weight as well as sharp detachable blade cut. It enables you to change only blade when damaged instead of through-out arrow.

The Second One is “fixed-blade” broadhead. They’re the most typical and traditionally utilized blades which are well aligned and well balanced to hit the target if properly shoot. They are probably the most inexpensive crossbow broadheads which give you fulfillment of archery maintaining low in cost. These are particularly designed to suit on the bows shaft regarding the better targeting experience.

The Third And Final One is the “extended blade” broadheads which are also referred to as the mechanical broadheads. Not to mention, these are flawlessly designed and well-steamed broadheads with retracted blades. The blades do more harm to the prey and offer perfect blood-trail for significantly better tracking of the target. They have a soft flight as well as pass through the target offering them a razor-sharp cut. They make use of the Mechanical retention technique which keeps this closed throughout flight and also open blades of hitting the target to do optimum damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X