Suggestions for newb to DSLRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for newb to DSLRs

What would the GS photo gurus suggest as a starting point for someone new to the DSLR game. I have no background with photography so really starting from square one. I would like to be able to replicated some of the awesome images I have seen posted here by the GS gurus.

I have a Nikon 5100 with a kit lens (18-55 1:3.5-5.6G) and a AF-S 35mm 1:1.8G currently.

Looking at a 50mm lens also.

I have a Nikon dvd that came with the kit but it is too fast paced for me to watch and keep up with even with the pause button.

What resources would you recommend for me? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

I'd suggest getting on youtube and watching videos designed for your skill level. Watch, watch, watch.

Another helpful tool is a camera simulator. Check this one out: http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/play/

Comment

Thanks I’ll look into both!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

A guy named Scott Kelby has some great videos on YouTube as well as some good, easy to read/decipher books for new DSLR users that I really liked...

Comment

EASY is speaking my language! Thanks for the suggestion added to the list

Comment

Also would it be worth having a 50mm in addition to the 35 I already have? ? ?

Comment

As said above, Youtube is full of info! Ed Gregory (Photos in Color) is one of my favorite channels.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                Also would it be worth having a 50mm in addition to the 35 I already have? ? ?
                IMO no. I bought one to have and wish I had bought an 85 instead. I use the lens but would have used the 85 more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                  IMO no. I bought one to have and wish I had bought an 85 instead. I use the lens but would have used the 85 more.

Awesome thanks!

Anyone else got something that might help me as well

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    I'd suggest getting on youtube and watching videos designed for your skill level. Watch, watch, watch.

Another helpful tool is a camera simulator. Check this one out: http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/play/
                    This is really cool - I've never seen a camera simulator before.

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
                      This is really cool - I've never seen a camera simulator before.
                      Yeah I wasted about half my day yesterday playing with it hahaha

Comment

Working...
                      X