10 - 700 yd hog gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken my friend!

Well that puts you 4-5 steps ahead of me! [emoji106][emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
      Well that puts you 4-5 steps ahead of me! [emoji106][emoji1]
      Honest to God I've yet to shoot more then 300 yards! I haven't even loaded up my vld's yet. You might have the edge on this one!

Comment

No love for the 260 or 6.5CM?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
          No love for the 260 or 6.5CM?

At 600 plus I would much rather have the 6.5X284 Norma or the 26 Nosler.

Comment

Still haven't git any load development done

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
              Have you ever shot 700 yards? Your mentioning guns that would be some of the absolute worst choices if somebody wanted to shoot 700 yards.
              Yep. A 223? Sorry, at 700 yards you could almost hold out your hand and catch the bullet, not to mention even a slight breeze blowing it 20 feet off target at that range.

Personally I don't think any self-respecting sportsman would try to take an animal at 700 yards, because there's too high a probability of wounding. No animal deserves to suffer, and it's the hunter's ethical responsibility to ensure a quick, clean kill. If you're not 100% sure you can do that, don't pull the trigger.

Not trying to throw the tread off-topic, but just the observation that you're even considering a .223 for 700 yard hog shots leads me to believe that you're a little on the naive side. Nothing wrong with that, either - we all started somewhere, and TBH is a good place to learn. Like, no hard feelings, OK?
              Last edited by Ruark; 07-27-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                Will be used for WT as well

These options are on the shelf

Mosdberg Patriot w/ accu trigger
                Savage Axis
                AR10 in .308
                AR15 in 5.56/.223

My concern with the .223 is the 65 grain bullet
                AR10 is heavy

Which caliber

6.5 creedmoor
                .30-07
                If 10yds is your minimum yardage then you will have one bearing down on you pretty hard. I know from experience, an AR platform is the way to go, caliber is personal choice...I would look at the Grendel, ballistically better than most of those listed.

Comment

I would suggest getting closer to the feeder. I have a 50 BMG, a 338 Lapua and a boat load of various magnums but I take most hogs with a suppressed 300 BO shooting subsonic 220-240gr SMK's out to 100yds or so.

I shoot the 223 and 223AI at 600yds pretty regular and the wind will kick your butt using heavy VLD's much less a lighter hunting bullet. Many a good group has been spoiled by a misread. Hunting you will usually only have one completely relaxed shot.

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                    Yep. A 223? Sorry, at 700 yards you could almost hold out your hand and catch the bullet, not to mention even a slight breeze blowing it 20 feet off target at that range.

Personally I don't think any self-respecting sportsman would try to take an animal at 700 yards, because there's too high a probability of wounding. No animal deserves to suffer, and it's the hunter's ethical responsibility to ensure a quick, clean kill. If you're not 100% sure you can do that, don't pull the trigger.

Not trying to throw the tread off-topic, but just the observation that you're even considering a .223 for 700 yard hog shots leads me to believe that you're a little on the naive side. Nothing wrong with that, either - we all started somewhere, and TBH is a good place to learn. Like, no hard feelings, OK?
                    Absolutely 0 hard feelings Ruark,

Not considering a .223 for a 700 yard hunting shot any longer. Paper or steel maybe.
                    In the Corps we shoot 500 yds with iron sights to qualify with the M16, 23 years ago.
                    It got me thinking it might be a viable option at that range.
                    But after further research I decided the risk of poor shot placement and poor penetration wasn't worth it.

So I purchased a Savage 12VLP chambered in .300 WSM instead.
                    I'd like to develop a load 200 gn ELD -X or Berger VLD at 3000 fps. Not sure if it's possible.
                    I'm not a reloader so I don't know where to start. I read a post that someone was shooting a VLD at 3050 with RL25. Forget the bullet.

I'll hunt with my AR out to 150 -200 tops, depending on how well it likes 62-65 grain ammo. I'm thinking Hog Hammer or 55 gn vmax.
                    It's only a 1:9 twist but I can upgrade it later
                    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-27-2016, 09:43 PM.

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                      I would suggest getting closer to the feeder. I have a 50 BMG, a 338 Lapua and a boat load of various magnums but I take most hogs with a suppressed 300 BO shooting subsonic 220-240gr SMK's out to 100yds or so.

I shoot the 223 and 223AI at 600yds pretty regular and the wind will kick your butt using heavy VLD's much less a lighter hunting bullet. Many a good group has been spoiled by a misread. Hunting you will usually only have one completely relaxed shot.

Furthest bow hunting setup we have right now is 27 yds.

The back feeder hasn't been hunted from camp, yet, but has been from the ground blind.
                      No ones had the correct rifle. We do now[emoji106]

We moved the blind and feeder 2 months ago. Trying to find the sweet spot. Deer had to cross a big field to get to the feeder.

Landowner has 3 gun setups. I think the furthest is 125yds.
                      I won't hunt them out of respect for him.
                      Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-27-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I'll say 6.5 creed in an ar10. I shoot a 260 in an ar10 and LOVE it. Have killed white tail out to 300 so far and hogs around the same shot a turkey at 650 yards and it didn't go but 10 feet. Extremely accurate my 260 holds 1/2 moa out to 850 if I do my part in sure it would hold a 1/2-3/4 moa to 1000. I shoot 140gr Hornady bthp@ 2700 ftps and it's very deadly. Shot a buck hard quarterd last season at 310 yards bullet exited front of chest, that's about 24" of penetration and had an 1-1 1/2" exit wound. Idk your budget but you will need to focus on a quality piece of glass for your rifle I have a 6.5-20x50 vortex viper on mine. And it has good clarity to about 16 power depending on air quality. Another reason to choose a 6.5 creedmore is because if you don't reload there is some very good ammo already out there from Hornady.

236 yards

125yards

310yards

155yards

450 yard group
                        Last edited by BLACKFINTURKEY; 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

That Savage is a fine choice should be deadly accurate.

Time to get to tuning some loads for it.

Comment

The gun shop has a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmor for $450.
                            I might trade for that...
                            It's a lb or two lighter....

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              The gun shop has a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmor for $450.
                              I might trade for that...
                              It's a lb or two lighter....
                              Your over thinking it get something and shoot! But in all reality I think either one will work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                                Your over thinking it get something and shoot! But in all reality I think either one will work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Guilty as charged.

Not sure where to find a range longer than 100yds

I know of a guy that shoots 250 at his place.
                                Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-30-2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X