Got a XDm .40!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a XDm .40!

It's the 3.8 compact. Should arrive by middle of the week. Where can I go to do upgrades and what upgrades would yall recommend? It's my first handgun.

Congrats! Nice piece! I just bought its little brother the subcompact XD 40. Love it!

Get ya some Trijicon night sights!

Comment

I have my SC XD9 as is. I attach a X2 laser/light combo when at home but on the street I leave as is. Really no need for anything else.

Keep in mind any mods, special ammo, or such you do could be turned against you in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
        I have my SC XD9 as is. I attach a X2 laser/light combo when at home but on the street I leave as is. Really no need for anything else.

Keep in mind any mods, special ammo, or such you do could be turned against you in court.
        What mods would be turned against me? I don't plan on any armor-piercing or anything. I just want to know about any need to change up the recoil spring or if I can find a stainless barrel with the same "match" design. Just stuff like that.

Comment

love mine check out optics planet for acc.. and maybe check with a local gunsmith about the springs and ss barrel

Comment

I own several Springfield weapons. I was tempted to do trigger jobs to several of them initially, but after putting about 200 rounds through each, the triggers smooth up quite nicely. Initially, I was shooting a lot of low/left shots. That cleared up with practice and trigger break-in. The only mods that I really like are night sights and extended mag releases.

Shoot it first before doing any mods. After 200 rounds, I think you will rethink "necessary" mods. It's a fine weapon. Congrats on your new purchase.

All the best,
            Glenn
            Last edited by cajuntec; 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Good choice! I have an XDM 3.8 in 9mm and couldn't be happier. As mentioned previously I too have some difficulty with shooting low and to the left, but feel it's my technique more than the gun. I honestly don't think I would add any "mods" to it.

Comment

I almost went with the M&P compact, but seeing how I could put my whole hand around the Springfield with either the compact or extended magazine, I decided on the XDm.

Comment

Low and left is trigger, trigger, trigger. Concentrate on using the last pad of your trigger finger and pulling straight back rather than getting up into the joint of the finger.

Comment

Ive had an xdm 40. For a while now. Im about to change out the guide rod and spring just to increase the weight a bit. Love it but the next one i get is going to be a sig p226

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                      What mods would be turned against me? I don't plan on any armor-piercing or anything. I just want to know about any need to change up the recoil spring or if I can find a stainless barrel with the same "match" design. Just stuff like that.
                      Glaser rounds
                      Lighter triggers
                      lighter springs
                      etc

Any good attorney can define this as making a gun tuned to kill. It has happened before.

Comment

I have the same exact gun and is my carry gun. You are gonna love it and will not need to do any mods. It's an ABSOLUTE DREAM to shoot. That's why you spent the extra $$ and went with the XDm over the XD, right?!? The trigger is awesome and the barrel is crazy accurate. Just go shoot it before you even consider "modifying" it. You'll quickly change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                          Any good attorney can define this as making a gun tuned to kill. It has happened before.
                          Um, isn't the idea to have a gun "tuned to kill"? Otherwise it'd just be a really expensive club. I'm fully aware that you "shoot to stop" and not "shoot to kill" or "shoot to wound" but if it's not "tuned" then it'd just be for "hit to kill" with wouldn't it? Maybe I'm just completely ignorant and somebody can straighten me out on this but it doesn't seem logical. Of course not much our judicial system is doing now seems logical.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBlkCld View Post
                            Um, isn't the idea to have a gun "tuned to kill"? Otherwise it'd just be a really expensive club. I'm fully aware that you "shoot to stop" and not "shoot to kill" or "shoot to wound" but if it's not "tuned" then it'd just be for "hit to kill" with wouldn't it? Maybe I'm just completely ignorant and somebody can straighten me out on this but it doesn't seem logical. Of course not much our judicial system is doing now seems logical.
                            Modifying a handgun to shoot faster or better can be made to look like you were looking to kill somebody or something. Atleast, that is the what I was told by several instructors. Knowing how the courts work nowadays, I'd believe it.

It'd be better to convince an audience you didn't want to kill someone but had to rather than trying to disprove you were preparing for it, if that makes sense.

Plain is the flavor to go in a self defense handgun apparently. Personally, its one less thing my attorney and I would have to worry about in the event it happens to us.

Just my opinion...
                            Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 03-25-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                              Low and left is trigger, trigger, trigger. Concentrate on using the last pad of your trigger finger and pulling straight back rather than getting up into the joint of the finger.
                              I guess I'm just not used to using that last "pad" to pull the trigger and often find myself using the joint. I've been trying to adjust my form, but it's hard to break bad habits!!

Comment

Working...
                              X