Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has never hunted out out of state and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of good excuses in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
      JP....where in Australia are you??
      I'm in Victoria - south eastern part

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
        I've got a buddy in Australia that shoots roos like it's going out of style. Shot some cool goats too.
        And gets to hunt new zealand as a family member guides there and puts him on the animals...y'all have some pretty cool hunting over there...
        He just got a few guns(explained all the loops he had to jump through) and is mainly a bow hunter. He's been there for about 8years now, he was born with dual citizenship
        Unless you know someone in Texas hunting can get expensive, we do have public land but nothing like the western states
        I head over to NZ every now and then for some diy hunting.

Roos aren't really game animals I have a few permits where I shoot em but that's more to help the farmers than anything else.

The hunting here is pretty good, goes under the international radar a bit I think.

Comment

I've been out of state three times. All three were public land hunts. They were all challenging.

It takes time from work and family to go. My NM hunts were 5 days plus a day of travel to and from. It would required more travel days to get to Colorado or even further west.

Google earth be ****ed- it's difficult to drive 800 miles to mountainous country and have a chance of finding game. I'm fortunate to have friends in northern NM that help me hunt.

I couldn't find anyone to go for several years. My buddies simply couldn't get away.

All that said- it's a can be a blast. I filled a cow tag in 15 and a deer tag this year. The experience was well worth it.

After these hunts- I'm now interested in harder to draw tags- so it will likely be a while before I go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My time is too precious now. I only hunt now where I have a very high chance at success. I have wasted too much money hunting places like Colorado where you are fighting everyone else from Texas. I have a place in Kansas I can go and it's just about 100% as it's my buddies 62,000 farm and he knows where the deer are.

I would rather sit around the fire here in East Texas and blast pigs than blow $1000 tromping around some place I am not familiar with with a near zero chance of bringing anything home. Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if I kill a deer every year or not (going on two years now), but if I go that far I better have a dang good chance of bringing something back.

Comment

Who has never hunted out out of state and why?

I have. Simply because I love going to new places.

As far as money it's not expensive if you look hard enough. Nobody said you had to go on a 21 Day Stone Sheep hunt.
              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I find it funny that money is a problem, it is cheaper for me to hunt out of state than have a lease here.
                And if you do your research chances are really pretty good.

Comment

Mostly just havnt had the oprtunity, plus I'm not sure where to begin. Hopefully the 2018 mule deer season in Colorado my father in law and I will go. We were supposed to go this coming season but some thing came up already for that.

Comment

Retired, have the time but not the money.

Comment

I haven't, my main issue is the few guys I hunt with have no interest in going on a out of state hunt. So I would have a hard time of it going at it alone. Money would be a issue on some hunts, but I have a lot of time on my hand.

I have thought about in the past, to offer my assistance for anyone going on a DIY hunt, so I can learn the ropes

Comment

I go every year usually more than once. I know a lot of people think it's too expensive but I'm dirt poor and I do it. You can elk hunt Colorado for $800 if you go with a couple guys. I'm going on a sheep hunt in February that will be around $500. Success isn't guaranteed but adventure is. Odds are good that you will kill something if you work your butt off. I've been to Colorado 5 times and killed 2 elk with the recurve. I would have killed an animal every year with a compound.

Gear can get crazy expensive but I did plenty of trips with garbage gear and survived. You just have to be tougher.
                        Last edited by Felix40; 12-22-2016, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I have 5 kids and a mother-in-law which are a huge investment. I would love to hunt all over the place and I make a good living. But with me being almost 40 and having a 2 year old, saving for retirement is my main goal along with paying off my house. If I had 1 or 2 kids I would be hunting everywhere. My evenings are filled with joy and most of my hunting consist of taking my kids or others kids. I haven't killed a deer yet this year and probably will not but my oldest son has with me sitting right next to him

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Funds, and with a little one it'll be a bit harder for a while. I am planning a Idaho Elk hunt, think the northeast area.

Comment

Finding somebody that could go with me.

Comment

For less than a thousand bucks I can go out of state buy otc tags and shoot 4-5 deer that will out weight our scrawny deer by 50-75 pounds each, hard to do that in Texas unless you know somebody. And I love me some Texas deer hunting out of a high seat or sitting over a blind but you haven't hunted until you have felt the rush of spot and stalking muleys, or whitetail with a bow or heck even with a rifle. My preferred method by far.

I plan on trying to make a trip up every year or 2 going to put in for deer and elk tags in colorado and pronghorn in wyoming this year so may just wait a couple years and then go up on a draw tag and just focus on killing birds and predators here in the mean time.

Comment

Working...
                                X