Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has never hunted out out of state and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glocker View Post
    As mentioned time, money and family. I can swing a couple grand for an amazing week hunting, but I need to spoil the wife and kids for a couple of years first!

" I have a family and out of state hunts are week long events and I just don't feel it is fair to go off for a week and leave my wife and 2 kiddos by themselves. I'd feel obligated to trade off time elsewhere,"

Maybe when the kids are grown, right now my time off is precious
    You and Swamprabbit hit the nail on the head, as far as my situation goes. I had an opportunity to go on an elk hunt with a friend and his father-in-law about 6 years ago and was planning on tagging along to learn the ropes. A week later we happily found out my wife was pregnant, so I backed out. 2 boys and a baby girl on-the-way later, here I am. At this point I'd be doing good to find an affordable place close to the house to take my kids to more than just a couple of times a year, especially since my oldest is 5 now, and hopefully when they're older I'll be in a position to go on some awesome out of state adventures with them.

Comment

I would encourage anyone who has ever wanted to go out of state to save a little and make the time. Like I mentioned before, you probably already have the stuff to make the trip. No need to buy a bunch of special things. The cost of the tags and gas and a cooler full of food.

Comment

The number one reason I'm nervous about hunting out of state is because I've hunted Texas public land. I would hate to travel out of state to watch 1/2 dozen hunters "stalk"(aka spook) hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHunting View Post
          For me it'd be out of country, I would love to hunt the states (Texas whitetail is a dream) but I've got flights, car hire, food, accommodation and shipping if I'm so lucky that's going to be $3-4k. Then you got guide fees on top so just about double it.

It's just easier for me to stick to public land or hunt swaps more locally than head over.

I've got a buddy in Australia that shoots roos like it's going out of style. Shot some cool goats too.
          And gets to hunt new zealand as a family member guides there and puts him on the animals...y'all have some pretty cool hunting over there...
          He just got a few guns(explained all the loops he had to jump through) and is mainly a bow hunter. He's been there for about 8years now, he was born with dual citizenship
          Unless you know someone in Texas hunting can get expensive, we do have public land but nothing like the western states
          Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
            The number one reason I'm nervous about hunting out of state is because I've hunted Texas public land. I would hate to travel out of state to watch 1/2 dozen hunters "stalk"(aka spook) hunting.
            if you get off the roads a little its not bad. I have walked a few miles in and did not see another hunter for days

Comment

Like flywise I encourage anyone to save and make the time. I've made several out-of-state trips and have wonderful memories of them. I've had a prosthetic leg since 1968 so DIY trips in remote areas were problematic, so mostly I went on outfitted trips. Cut back on beer, eat out less often, work extra overtime or a second job and throw your spare change in a drawer and you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll have the funds for that trip. I've managed to hunt Texas (that's out of state for me), Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Kansas, and Alaska. I even worked in a couple of Africa trips.

Comment

All part of my retirement plan. Time is the problem right now I'm already guiding others to their trophy. Looking forward to hunting with my son out of state when he gets older.

Comment

I've never hunted out of the state unfortunately, but I sure wish I could. Prior to this year I haven't had the means to do it with 3 kids - oldest in public school, 4 yr old in private school (may get held back when moving to public school for 2017 school yr since he's an Aug. birthday) and a 2.5 yr old in daycare (who is moving to the private school in Aug 2017). I paid off a few things so that really helped. I've picked up a few rifles along the way, mostly ones that will be used and others that sit in the corner looking pretty until they are passed down to the kids...

Comment

Originally posted by JPHunting View Post
                    For me it'd be out of country, I would love to hunt the states (Texas whitetail is a dream) but I've got flights, car hire, food, accommodation and shipping if I'm so lucky that's going to be $3-4k. Then you got guide fees on top so just about double it.

It's just easier for me to stick to public land or hunt swaps more locally than head over.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                    JP....where in Australia are you??

Comment

Hunted in Kansas and Wisconsin. Kansas was the hardest hunting I've ever experienced. Muzzleloader season, high winds and 95+ degree weather. 9 straight days of does and a couple of really small bucks..... Very frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        if you get off the roads a little its not bad. I have walked a few miles in and did not see another hunter for days
                        I was way back in shnf. I had the same idea, the further you walk the less people you will see. Apparently lots of folks use that tactic. I may try it again but it's irritating to work so hard and follow the rules just to ser guys show up without orange vest and pouring out corn to hunt over.

Comment

I've only hunted out of state in Wyoming, Colorado, & Tennessee, but I hope a few others are in my future.

Comment

I'll be hunting out of state my first time next yr. We have an elk hunt planned in CO as long as we can get permission from the land owner, which shouldn't be a problem. Can't wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I just need a new group of friends and someone to show me the ropes.

I literally can't even get my friends up to the ranch for New Years much less out west.

Also have been begging my friends to go on a guided duck hunt or to public land or to the lease and have made all of two trips....

Maybe I'm the issue, LOL

Anyone needs a tag along for any of these trips PLEASE drop me a line.

Comment

Still go back to ND for bird hunting and ice fishing. Have family there still so I can sell it to wife that i'm "visiting"!

Comment

Working...
                                X