Funny public land discoveries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny public land discoveries

Thinking back to when I was in my late teens early twenties I had a buddy who had a golden spot in the National forest way back in there. We were young and stupid so his idea to try to keep people out of that area was he hung abunch of dolls on the trees in that area to make it look creepy lol thinking back on it of course it was stupid but funny. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve come across on public land?

I saw those dolls and ran like hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It would have worked on me....back in those deep woods coming across dolls, Id burn the sols off of my boots getting out of there

Comment

Once I ran across a mattress and a bunch of condemns on the ground. I chose to hunt another area after stumbling across that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Man View Post
          Once I ran across a mattress and a bunch of condemns on the ground. I chose to hunt another area after stumbling across that.
          I’d of set up a game camera

Comment

One morning just after daylight in the fog walking out from a duck hunt I came a cross a dilapidated shack and on the back side was painted the red smiley face from Red John, I’m 54 and been in the woods all my life and can count on one hand the things that have unnerved me, that’s one of them.

Comment

Back in the mid 1970s my high school buddies and I would go shooting/hunting on the old WWII Camp Gruber in NE Oklahoma. At the time it was around 75 square miles and big areas of it was unused until the national guard took it over and started keeping people out. We hiked in maybe 10 miles over rough country and set up camp. In a creek bottom we found a vintage Harley Davidson - probably from the 1940’s - just sitting there still on the kickstand like somebody just parked it and walked off. It had been sitting there so long a 10 foot tree had grown up through the frame. Always wondered what the story was

Comment

Not really that weird but this past weekend I came across the second tree stand in the area I’ve decided to hunt. It has been there so long that the bark on the tree is starting to grow over the strapping material used to keep it in place. About 50 yards from there in a creek bottom I found a large 10 point skull that had decomposed poorly in the creek. I have been wondering if the hunter got the deer and was the given the dilemma of taking the deer or the stand and decided on the deer, taking only what he could or wanted to carry.

Comment

Last year I was driving in on a back road early one morning 4am or so well after deciding to hunt a different spot I decided to turn around on an old drive not a vehicle around for couple of miles. As I pulled into the old drive kind of quickly. There was a guy not 20 yds from the front of my truck with his pants around his knees he started to try and run deeper in the woods but couldn’t move very quickly with his pants down the way they were. I’m not sure who was more shocked me or him. I guess his buddy or someone had dropped him off. I’m sure neither of us will ever forget that .
                  Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 10-01-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I came across a little yellow forest service sign nailed to a tree in Colorado when I was taking shelter In a clump of aspen and pines in the middle of a huge meadow during a September storm. It said something line a livestock trail or a highway.

I thought I heard a faint bell ringing during the downpour. It got louder and louder until the lead sheep appeared ahead of a herd of several hundred. There were shepherds on horseback along with pack animals and their border collies. It was quite a show. Passes within yards of me without ever seeing me. Didn’t see any elk afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                      Last year I was driving in on a back road early one morning 4am or so well after deciding to hunt a different spot I decided to turn around on an old drive not a vehicle around for couple of miles. As I pulled into the old drive kind of quickly. There was a guy not 20 yds from the front of my truck with his pants around his knees he started to try and run deeper in the woods but couldn’t move very quickly with his pants down the way they were. I’m not sure who was more shocked me or him. I guess his buddy or someone had dropped him off. I’m sure neither of us will ever forget that .
                      That’s funny right there!

Comment

These was hanging at the start of a trail, I kinda figgered that meant no trespassing and went back to the truck.

Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Coon hunting in Michigan, and posted around the boarder were flyers about a school teacher that had gone missing a while back. Way back in the swanp i stumbled on what looked like a tarp over a coffin. Freaked me out. Second look it was an instrument case to a tuba or bass. Gave it a quick kick to make sure it wasnt full of anything and carried on.

Comment

My dad and I came across a flipped over 1942 pickup in the woods at night and when got out our flashlights to look inside the first thing we saw was a dishwashing plastic glove that was yellowish orange. Thought it was a hand and we both took off running.

And mountain lions they always scare me.

Comment

Found a plane fuselage in a wilderness area in colorado. Never got closer than 100 yards or so looked like it went down several years prior and it was in a real sketchy spot to get to and back out.
                              Reported it to the sheriff's office, they had no record of it, never heard anything more.
                              Buddies brother is convinced the plane was full of drug money and we missed the chance to get rich.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X