Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    They not only de-forested that area, they brought in thousands of yards of dirt and raised it a good 10 feet... where's all the water going that would have been in that part of the drainage... Progress sometimes isn't...
    That's why progress was in quotation marks. Seems like a huge rainmaker will wash all that out. When it settles who knows the river could be completely rerouted. So long as the guy on the hill (developer) is making his $$$ who cares. It's sad really.
    Last edited by arrowsmack324; 08-23-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
      This is true, BUT, with all the new roads comes new structures. The added water shed to the area in forms of roofs, streets, driveways, parking lots etc. play a major roll in compounding the situation. Not to mention new levies that have been constructed.
      Agree. I think the destruction of the rice fields is really the main cause of flooding in Katy. They used to be able to hold water, now they are gone.

Soils in this part of Texas are expansive when they get wet, which seals off most ground penetration after just an inch or two of rain. So the amount of run off is similar to paving after just a little rain. But I think the rice fields north of Katy played a huge role in holding back some of that water, far more than ground penetration.

Sorry, getting off topic. Keep the weather info coming!
      Last edited by WItoTX; 08-23-2017, 07:52 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
        That's why progress was in quotation marks. Seems like a huge rainmaker will wash all that out. When it settles who knows the river could be completely rerouted. So long as the guy on the hill (developer) is making his $$$ who cares. It's sad really.
        Model homes were flooded in some of the new developments. Who on God's green earth would buy a house in a subdivision that has flooded even before full development?

Comment

Sorry for the derail, I'm glad y'all are providing such great info about the coming system. I'm putting my soap box up.

Comment

so yall are saying i probably shouldn't drive out from Houston to New Orleans on Friday, and back to Houston on Sunday? Driving across the gulf coast during a hurricane would be a bad idea? Am i reading this correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by hildatx View Post
              so yall are saying i probably shouldn't drive out from houston to new orleans on friday, and back to houston on sunday? Driving across the gulf coast during a hurricane would be a bad idea? Am i reading this correctly?
              yup......................

Comment

Originally posted by HildaTx View Post
                so yall are saying i probably shouldn't drive out from Houston to New Orleans on Friday, and back to Houston on Sunday? Driving across the gulf coast during a hurricane would be a bad idea? Am i reading this correctly?

Na you're good. Sounds like the making of a good song! [emoji23]

Skinny

Comment

Forecast for our fleet in Corpus just arrived:

Hurricane making landfall between CC and Victoria Friday evening. Weakening to TS or TD as it drifts up the coast. May re-enter the gulf near Galveston Monday and make final landfall in Louisiana Monday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup my house is going to flood. Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                      Na you're good. Sounds like the making of a good song! [emoji23]

Skinny
                      Perhaps something akin to "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald"?

Comment

Hmmmm new forecast from local guy

Comment

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
                          5th post. Info 30 seconds out!
                          stop posting so many times.....jeez. newbie

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

You know it's BS when they have it down to tenths of an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

That falls in line to what I saw last. I can live with that.

Comment

AND STILL THE CHAMP.......
                                TS Claudette, back in 79, still holds the record.. It dumped 43" of rain in Brazoria county in 24 hours... I remeber you could launch a boat south of Angleton and run all the way to Alvin.... It was something to see for sure..
                                As bad as that was back then I can't imagine the degustation it would do now...

Comment

Working...
                                X